New vc encore and new to wood burning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Thermostat is the bi-metalic spring and flap with a probe attached to it. The handle you refer to is the primary air lever/ regulator. In my books. The terminology is a bit confusing when you are new to this. We have all been there.

Assuming if you have a digital thermostat in your home you don't call it a digital temperature adjust unit do you? If analog you don't say I'm going to adjust the analog dial or lever unit. It's thermostat. The bi-metallic spring and flap are a part of the thermostat as is the handle. The same goes for the air inlet on the back. If I adjust the air control down that is adjusting the thermostat down and vice versa.

But thanks for the nomenclature correction. That didn't answer my question from earlier.

Assuming if you have a digital thermostat in your home you don't call it a digital temperature adjust unit do you? If analog you don't say I'm going to adjust the analog dial or lever unit. It's thermostat. The bi-metallic spring and flap are a part of the thermostat as is the handle. The same goes for the air inlet on the back. If I adjust the air control down that is adjusting the thermostat down and vice versa.

But thanks for the nomenclature correction. That didn't answer my question from earlier.
All good. Wish you luck with your wood burning quest.

Hmm interesting. I assume they pretty much work the same. When I go to open my thermostat, about a 5th of the way there I feel and hear a small pop. It's pretty noisy also. Does your thermostat handle operate like that?

No, smooth (relatively speaking) from open to close. No pops, no catches.

Hmm interesting. I assume they pretty much work the same. When I go to open my thermostat, about a 5th of the way there I feel and hear a small pop. It's pretty noisy also. Does your thermostat handle operate like that?
Mine pops and crunches a little as I turn it. There is a friction spring (basically a spring sandwiched between two washers) whose purpose is to keep the handle in position after you adjust it. Sometimes that spring binds and makes a crunching noise.