Newbie Splitting questions- manual and electric/hydraulic

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
fatwoodfirestarters said:
We have a 16 and 20 ton splitter in electric which is doing very well now with high gas prices. These run about the same as a gas model of the same size.
Fatwoodfirestarters, just curious, what kind of circuit does the 20 ton require? 240V I assume, how many amps?

here is the spec sheet from our web page.

20 tons of ram force
3 HP 3600 rpm 12 amps @230 VAC engine
13.6 gpm, 3 stage pump
10 second cycle time
Maximum log length: 26 inches
480-8 high speed trailer tires
2" coupler hitch
Cylinder Size: 4" x 24"
"Deadman" switch automatically stops the ram when the handle is released
Control valve locks into return and automatically returns to the start position
Built in relief valve protects the hydraulic system
Solid rectangular tube design eliminates twisting and bending found on less durable splitters
Brass wear strips between the ram and the beam for added life of your log splitter

tfdchief said:
fatwoodfirestarters said:
We have a 16 and 20 ton splitter in electric which is doing very well now with high gas prices. These run about the same as a gas model of the same size.
Fatwoodfirestarters, just curious, what kind of circuit does the 20 ton require? 240V I assume, how many amps?

Splitting by hand is cheap , effective and healthy.

For me it would be easier to stroke through some 18" long rounds than to wrestle with rounds on/and off the spitter, the noise and/or smell etc.

The problem with manual splitting for a newbie is that until one develops an accurate, efficient swing it can be tiring,slow and frustrating.

My suggestion is to buy a 6lb maul w/ fiberglass handle and start practicing. Rent a splitter if you get too far behind.

If you stick with it you'll be able to use your $35 maul and save the money on a splitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.