Okay..Decided to pull the trigger on a new stove. Dutchwest 2462 (XL)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think there would be anything wrong with going with the smaller model. Again I'm happy with my stove but do worry sometimes. I think if treated appropriately and not abused the DW would be a fine stove just for you and your 6 inch liner not the XL model.

I think blaze king line of stoves is out of your budget and honestly may have been out of mine If i had sat down and crunched the numbers. There are a good deal of good stove companies out there. And sometimes the amount of burn time you get is more dependent on your wood quality, type, and moisture content as well as floor plan and layout and square footage than on the stove itself.

I need to heat 2500sq ft. I want a quality brand stove that will heat that and the fire lasting at least 10hrs. I cant believe all the negative talk about VC/DW. Im glad I joined this forum. Please post some specific stoves for my requirements and budget if you can. All this help is greatly appreciated and quite amazing

Many of the larger stoves with large fire boxes meant to heat 2500 sq ft often have 8 inch requirements.

I don't know enough about different stoves to throw names of stoves for you. But you are definately in the blaze king (king or princess) level or progress hybrid or the DW 2462, or VC defiant range. I think a Blaze King Princess can accept a 6 inch collar but you would have to double check and I would expect depending on your local deal and taxes ect that one could run you 2300-2800 (just a shot in the dark though). A VC defiant runs about 2400-2800 without enamel. Not sure the cost of the DW 2462. but again many of these require 8 inch chimneys.

Some others will be able to offer you better input than I. But keep hunting and always read the product manual thoroughly before purchasing. And double check here before making the commitment to get final input and thoughts.

I don't think there would be anything wrong with going with the smaller model. Again I'm happy with my stove but do worry sometimes. I think if treated appropriately and not abused the DW would be a fine stove just for you and your 6 inch liner not the XL model.

I think blaze king line of stoves is out of your budget and honestly may have been out of mine If i had sat down and crunched the numbers. There are a good deal of good stove companies out there. And sometimes the amount of burn time you get is more dependent on your wood quality, type, and moisture content as well as floor plan and layout and square footage than on the stove itself.

Damn, i like that Blaze King Princess! Just did some research on it. Do you know a good online dealer?

Explain why please? Not that im being a wise guy Im just trying to get some info so I can relay the info to the people who are telling me otherwise. I just dont want to say some knowledgable guy on a forum told me so. What are the reducer pipes for then? Why would they sell the reducer pipes if flues werent suppose to be reduced? Thank you. And again Im just gathering info so I can accurately explain this to 20 people that told me otherwise
They sell reducer and increaser pipes for all sorts of reasons including for people that think the rules don't apply to them. Sometimes they provide a legitimate fix but often in the case of reducing size they can lead to a balky stove that puff backs frequently due to stalled draft. When in doubt call the manufacturer and see if they will condone or reject the reduction.

Good to hear you like the Princess. That is the stove I was going to recommend as an alternative. There are few if any online dealers. Go to BKs website and find local dealers instead.

Take a look at Englander NC30, it's a good bang for your buck large stove that should give you a 10 hour burn. There are also a few Drolet and Osburn stove that will work you can buy online.

Take a look at Englander NC30, it's a good bang for your buck large stove that should give you a 10 hour burn. There are also a few Drolet and Osburn stove that will work you can buy online.

I have an appointment to go look at and potentially purchase the Blaze King Princess Ultra...its going to run me 3K with the rear heat shield and black/glass door. How does the Englander NC30 compare to the Blaze King Princess Ultra? I see the Englander NC30 is going for 900 bucks at Home Depot. I dont want to make the assumption that just because something is 3 times more expensive it's better but alot of times its true. I also am looking for longevity out of this purchase. Please give me some input about this

They are both good stoves but have very different combustion processes. The 30NC uses secondary air via tubes to reburn unburnt wood gases. There are some corners cut to save money on the baffle but overall it represents a high value in a basic steel stove. There are fancier versions of this style stove, some with nice features, but the Englander is hard to beat for price. The BKP uses a catalyst to do the reburn. This stove is the legacy of several generations of development. It's not great for a fireview, the 30NC will do better, instead BK stoves are known for their long burntimes even when burning pine. If the weather is mild, say in the 20's and 30's for most of your winter this stove can be ideal. The burn is thermostatically controlled for a very even temp in the house and extra long burn times.

They are both good stoves but have very different combustion processes. The 30NC uses secondary air via tubes to reburn unburnt wood gases. There are some corners cut to save money on the baffle but overall it represents a high value in a basic steel stove. There are fancier versions of this style stove, some with nice features, but the Englander is hard to beat for price. The BKP uses a catalyst to do the reburn. This stove is the legacy of several generations of development. It's not great for a fireview, the 30NC will do better, instead BK stoves are known for their long burntimes even when burning pine. If the weather is mild, say in the 20's and 30's for most of your winter this stove can be ideal. The burn is thermostatically controlled for a very even temp in the house and extra long burn times.

Tough call for me because 1000 dollars is appetizing as opposed to 3000 but i also like the fact the burn times are longer. I also dont want to buy another stove 8-10 years from now. I have no intention nor will i ever burn pine. So the NC30 isnt catalytic and the BKP is catalytic. That explains the long burn times. The less I have to mess with loading the stove the better but that 1000 dollar price is very tempting. Lol.

Lots of happy owners here with both stoves, depends on whether you want to spend the extra 2k. I'd go look at both and read the reviews and info here on the forum before you decide.

You could split the difference and get a good mid-priced stove like an Osburn 2400, Pacific Energy Summit, Regency F3100, etc..Or get fancier with a cast iron stove. Each has its pluses and minuses. The good news is that almost all modern stoves are good burners.

PS: I would not shy away from burning seasoned pine, especially in a good cat stove. It's a fine firewood fueling a large portion of west coast burners.

Wouldn't the Princess have to be run pretty hard to heat 2500 sq feet? We know those cats don't like to be run hard.

You wouldn't get 10 hour burn times with any 6" outlet stove trying to heat that much space, unless you are super insulated.

Seems to me the NC30 would be the best bang for the buck, but you will be loading it more often.

Can you cut down on the space you are trying to heat?

It depends on how well insulated and sealed the house is. The stove might need supplementing during the few weeks of very cold weather, but the majority of winter days in NJ are in the 20s and 30s. FWIW, a big stove like the Summit would overheat my BILs 2300 sq ft. house in NY. It all depends on the construction and sealing of the home.

Somebody with knowledge on both of these stoves make the decision for me. Lol. I dont mind paying the 3K if the stove is that much better than the NC but im going to be dissapointed if i buy the NC and replacing it in 5-8 years and have continuous problems with it before that

Very few people replace this stove. It should have a good 20+ year life with proper running. I have not heard of anyone replacing the Princess due to maintenance issues.

I wish I had kept running the Dw, read posts here for a couple years, then decided on a stove. There's too much information to digest in a short amount of time.

Somebody with knowledge on both of these stoves make the decision for me. Lol. I dont mind paying the 3K if the stove is that much better than the NC but im going to be dissapointed if i buy the NC and replacing it in 5-8 years and have continuous problems with it before that

Don't make a hasty decision between two very different wood stoves. I have a 30-NC and I do like it very much, but I was on an extremely tight budget and needed the most capable heater I could afford. That being said, if I could have spent $2000 on a stove instead of $1000, I would have looked around a lot more and likely settled on something different. Look around more, there are a dozen stoves that would be great for your application, all with pros and cons for the setting. I love my 30 but I am looking forward to the day I can run a cat stove.

I just bought the NC30 at HD and put it on the hearth. I removed the old DW and sent it out to pasture. Well theres my decision. Maybe ill get 10 years out of it. Maybe more but i got it for a steal and it seems to have good reviews. Tomorrow I will connect the piping and fire it up

Reactions: raybonz
I just bought the NC30 at HD and put it on the hearth. I removed the old DW and sent it out to pasture. Well theres my decision. Maybe ill get 10 years out of it. Maybe more but i got it for a steal and it seems to have good reviews. Tomorrow I will connect the piping and fire it up
Congrats JM ! The 30NC is a great heater and will last you a very long time!

Ray

Thank you very much. I cant wait to fire it up tomorrow!
Personally I think it's a decent looking stove too.. The blower helps to get the heat out too..

Congrats, it is a heating machine and Englander stands behind their products with good tech support. USA tech support that is in VA at that, so you will be able to understand them.

You sure about that? I mean we're talking a New Jersey accent on one end and someone from the south on the other end. ;)

Reactions: raybonz
Status
Not open for further replies.