Old corn crib for wood seasoning & storing.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JimBear

Minister of Fire
Dec 15, 2017
Iowa
Hello all, I have an old ear corn crib that is 30’ L x 10’W x 14’H backside sloping to 16’H on the front, with a tin roof, sides are 1”x5”s with approximately 1-1/2” between boards. The crib has 3 walk in doors on the front so it is easy to separate wood varieties. I really don’t have the ability to stack wood outside but this building is empty & still allows air flow (albeit reduced from open elements stacking). I am curious to hear any opinions on seasoning wood in such a structure.

1AE6261C-3CF2-4946-BEE2-BAEB543CA447.jpeg

Here is a pic of the crib

If its free and got a roof, its great place to dry and store wood. You may want to go with loose stacks with plenty of air space between splits and leave some access row between stacks.

Reactions: Poindexter
It is now a Wood Shed

My neighbor and my brother both do this, it works well...

Nah, if you split it, it will dry quicker than that...I find Oak to be worse

I used to stack firewood in my old corn crib , but now i just chuck it in , seasons well & stays dry .

I am just concerned that while I’m waiting for the locust to dry out the crib may come down around it. Lol, I have read several posts that it may take 3-5 years for it to dry out good.
That corn crib will be around for a long time yet...I have some locust now that is running 15-17% that I am burning that is 2.5 coming 3 years seasoned that is cranking out the BTUs this morning...your crib is big enough to section into 3rd...you can easily rotate wood in and out of it..let it set outside for a year and rotate it in. I would love to have that crib here! I am going to make a smaller version of it slightly modified.

I used to work for papermill and the papermachines use long continuous fabrics to carry the paper while it was drying. It was a nylon open weave but would wear out and need to be changed. Folks would build a roof on four posts and then hang dryer fabric on the at least three sides. It keep the snow and rain out but allowed good air circulation.I think the cord crib boards work similar except you can pile stuff right up to it.

I wish I still had access to the fabrics (but am glad I am long gone from the papermill) ;).

Last edited:
Great idea! The only thing you'll miss is hot sun beating down on your stacks. Warm wind is the best way to dry wood so your crib is perfect.