Old Heat N Glo Venting/Term Needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

brehm020

Jul 28, 2021
Eden Prairie, MN
Hi all! I am in a bit of a bind. I have a 16” run off of a Heat N Glo ST-TRC and need the venting and term cap. Willing to use any combination of DV-06D, DV-12D, or DV-24D venting (or adapters and new venting?). Term cap is part DVK-01TRD. Thanks!

CCD1EA78-2800-4427-9023-F8EAFB77B0A0.jpeg 129C07FB-1F74-45EA-B245-2C6050C03F89.jpeg 2483CF94-1599-46D2-A03C-5E34EEDD3DA1.jpeg 97861A06-B68A-4D21-B9EC-DC4D73E968AB.jpeg

Hi all! I am in a bit of a bind. I have a 16” run off of a Heat N Glo ST-TRC and need the venting and term cap. Willing to use any combination of DV-06D, DV-12D, or DV-24D venting (or adapters and new venting?). Term cap is part DVK-01TRD. Thanks!

View attachment 280512 View attachment 280513 View attachment 280514 View attachment 280515
You won't have any luck finding an adapter for DV pipe. National code allows for custom fabrication of vent pipe so if I were in this situation I would take a piece of the DV pipe and a Piece of pipe that you would like to adapt to and take it to a HVAC company or metal fabrication shop that will make an adapter for it. The only thing you need to keep in mind when doing this is the pipe that you adapt to can not be smaller in size than the existing pipe because it will cause draft issues and could be dangerous.

You won't have any luck finding an adapter for DV pipe. National code allows for custom fabrication of vent pipe so if I were in this situation I would take a piece of the DV pipe and a Piece of pipe that you would like to adapt to and take it to a HVAC company or metal fabrication shop that will make an adapter for it. The only thing you need to keep in mind when doing this is the pipe that you adapt to can not be smaller in size than the existing pipe because it will cause draft issues and could be dangerous.
Are you sure about that? National code defers to manufacturers instructions for ul listed appliances and venting. I have never seen manuals for either of them allow for custom fabricated parts as a part of their system.

Are you sure about that? National code defers to manufacturers instructions for ul listed appliances and venting. I have never seen manuals for either of them allow for custom fabricated parts as a part of their system.
If it is a situation where the pipe and fireplace are discontinued then yes that is the case. Think about it, if national code defers to all manufacturers instruction regardless of how outdated that instruction is how safe would that be? Some of our installers and service techs went back and forth about this for weeks so I asked the NFI reps at the HPBA trade show to confirm this is correct.

If it is a situation where the pipe and fireplace are discontinued then yes that is the case. Think about it, if national code defers to all manufacturers instruction regardless of how outdated that instruction is how safe would that be? Some of our installers and service techs went back and forth about this for weeks so I asked the NFI reps at the HPBA trade show to confirm this is correct.
Manufacturers instructions for ul listed appliances absolutely. And if there is a problem with the unit or instructions they are required to issue an amendment. I have attended many nfi csia and ccp classes on issues like this. And read through all the code books. If the parts are unavailable by code you can't fix the unit or vent.

Can you provide the code that says you are allowed to custom fabricate components for part of a ul listed system?