Old stoves vs New(ish). School me

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
It is enameled and doesn’t look chipped. Problem I’m running into now is the height of the masonry fireplace I’m trying to locate it in. Overall head height is 26” and change. Height of the standard length leg stove looks like 28 3/4”. Short legs will knock that down by 2” which is very tight.
Stupid question but do the short legs bring the ash pan tight to the floor or is there 1-3” of clearance between the bottom of the ash pan and floor when using the short legs?
There is some space 1.5” maybe under the ashpan. I can measure tomorrow. 26.5” stove in a 26” tall space….. what’s your plan B?

There is some space 1.5” maybe under the ashpan. I can measure tomorrow. 26.5” stove in a 26” tall space….. what’s your plan B?
Right now it’s to keep burning in the 112 year old chungus of a stove while I look for other options. I mean it IS performing and providing heat, we just may run out of logs earlier. Much earlier.

Right now it’s to keep burning in the 112 year old chungus of a stove while I look for other options. I mean it IS performing and providing heat, we just may run out of logs earlier. Much earlier.
Put measurements and pics in other thread

Reactions: HillStreetChickens
I will say i had my heart set on another F400 for my basement.

The economics were the same so get a new Drolet insert by the time I got a liner and insulation last fall. I would not want an 400 to be my only heat source if it’s cold. It’s an 11:30 pm reload bed by midnight and up at 5am if you run the stove hard. Great supplemental heat.

Reactions: HillStreetChickens
Put measurements and pics in other thread
Thank you. Seller just texted me that stove is 28 3/4” with 3 3/4” of clearance so very tight.

Found this looking around. Series 8 with cat by the looks of the damper controls on the upper left. Bottom grate looks like it got ridden hard and put away wet.

44FDB0CE-48A5-4C17-A907-9DB3BFDDC692.png