Opinions: Englander 25 CBPAH, 25 CB120, and any other American made tax credit eligible stove I missed.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

GearheadGrrrl

Mar 11, 2019
southwest Minnesota
Looking for a new tax credit eligible pellet stove, other than the dealer installed (at double the price) models almost everything is made in China and I'm not about to make a 4 figure investment on a stove built halfway around the world with questionable backup. Only thing I've found that's made in a democracy is Englander, any opinions on them or other USA/Canada made pellet stoves?

One that's not mentioned often is Enviro is Made in Canada
British Columbia to be exact. A very good stove with few problems.
When there is a problem it is solved quickly by the Hard Core
Enviro members here. There are 3 or 4 people in the forum that
know the stoves inside out plus their tech manuals are available to
anyone, not just the dealers. I have been using 2 of them for the last
22 years with few problems.
Just my Nickles Worth! :)

Reactions: Washed-Up
One that's not mentioned often is Enviro is Made in Canada
British Columbia to be exact. A very good stove with few problems.
When there is a problem it is solved quickly by the Hard Core
Enviro members here. There are 3 or 4 people in the forum that
know the stoves inside out plus their tech manuals are available to
anyone, not just the dealers. I have been using 2 of them for the last
22 years with few problems.
Just my Nickles Worth! :)
Sounds like a great stove, but sold through dealers only which at least doubles the price.

Sounds like a great stove, but sold through dealers only which at least doubles the price.
Then you have a choice of one or a big box stove from overseas
Yes the North American stoves are expensive but you get what you pay for
My ef3 is 22 years old and only had to ever replace the combustion fan (noise)
My big output Enviro is now 12 years old and other than cleaning has had no faults
Like I said YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR

Then you have a choice of one or a big box stove from overseas
Yes the North American stoves are expensive but you get what you pay for
My ef3 is 22 years old and only had to ever replace the combustion fan (noise)
My big output Enviro is now 12 years old and other than cleaning has had no faults
Like I said YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR
I want a quality North American made stove, but I don't need a dealer to double the price and maybe botch the installation. I've installed 2 pellet stoves all by myself with no problems and have 17 years experience heating with pellets and corn- I don't need a dealer to add a couple thousand $$$ to the cost while adding little if any value!

Funny I bought both my stoves from a dealer took them home and installed them
and they didn't cost thousands of $ more
I wouldn't pay for installation just like you. A good dealer will sell without installation
If he doesn't all he is losing is a sale
If you want a cheap stove buy a cheap stove that on you

From what I can tell the more expensive stoves aren't just twice as expensive because of the dealers, they really are far better units. No tax credit, but you could likely pick up a nice used stove.

Before I bought my used Harman (hopefully finish install in next few weeks) I was looking at Englanders for the same reason as you. Ultimately it seemed I would get a far more quality unit if I shopped preowned. It seemed some people have success with Englanders, but there will be a lot more messing around.

I can't speak for the stoves you mentioned, but I have two Englander's (25-PDV and a 25-EPI) that are both over 10 years old. Other than normal wear items, both have been bullet proof, getting 2-4 tons per year through each.

Eric