Overnighters

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
My two cents. Leave a good layer of ash. I find the deeper the coal bed on my last load the longer the burn (with enough room left to get a good load in). Last load I reload hot and get the secondaries going then shut it all the way down. A big split in the bottom back helps. I have a blower I think it might help keep the firebox temps lower to extend the burn time with my setup. I consider overnight enough coals for an easy morning relight. I usually stay up a bit later on cold nights but I’m thinking a middle of the night 2-4am reload with just enough wood to throw it on set it and forget it might be better.

On a real cold morning do most do a full load first thing in the morning?
I'd say yes, because the stove is to the end of last night's load, house temp is dropping and it's the coldest part of the day.

Ha!! Overnighters?!!! I haven’t even been burning at all with temps in the 60’s! This winter has been insane. I bet I havnt burned a cord yet. I’ll take it tho

So I had to buy wood this winter because we’re in a new house and the wood I’m stacking now is for next winter and so on. I got a cord of some really good seasoned stuff. However I don’t know what it is. He called it mixed hardwoods and I can notice ash in there. Maybe locust and maple but a lot of it I just don’t know what it is. It all burns very clean and hot but when I wake up there’s hardly any coals and makes restarts in the morning tough. Not to mention house temp really drops.

so here is the question. Moving forward when I’m the one cutting the wood what is the best overnight stuff? I know most of you will say oak but to be honest it hard to find. I have hundreds of acres of woods behind our house and not one oak blowdown. But a never ending supply of ash maple and cherry. Thoughts?
so the best way to up your burn time is to do the following. A.... burn the harder woods like oak, hickory. B... the biggest game changeris how you split your wood. by splitting in square or rectangle shape that will allow you to pack the stove to its full potential with less pockets with no wood. this will extend you burn time by alot.. split the wood to like a 5x5 in square.. 4x6 rectangle ect

Depending on the size of your firebox I leave some larger rounds of Locust and hedge for the overnight burns. I also burn ash maple oak etc. I have found bigger splits or some rounds here and there make it a while. Rounds will take longer to dry out but I have some sitting that is four to five years old plus. The more you burn you will figure it out but some bigger pieces will extend the burn times.