Pacific energy summit insert replacing old zero clearence

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

PAbeech

Burning Hunk
May 16, 2021
Wallenpaupack, PA
Yesterday we pulled out the old zero clearence wood burner. My new pacific energy summit insert is now waiting to be installed. Just have to weld up brackets to keep the old chimney up and then insert the 25' 6" flex liner kit into the existing10" stainless chimney. Also if any tips on using the existing outside air intake on the left side of the box let me know. It does talk about it on page 18 of my manual but if you have experience let me know.

20210527_131408.jpg 20210527_131413.jpg 20210519_145526.jpg 20210527_153005.jpg 20210527_144005.jpg

20210527_131327.jpg

Wait! You can not install an insert in that space. Read the manual. An insert must go into a masonry fireplace or an approved ZC fireplace. It can not be installed as a standalone in the space where the old ZC was removed. A PE FP30 might fit in that area depending on its dimensions, but not the Summit insert. A new ZC FP will also need new chimney pipe.

From the manual:
Your Insert is designed to be installed into a masonry or factory built zero-clearance wood burning fireplace. The masonry fireplace and chimney must be good working condition and built according to the requirements of the Standard of Chimneys, Fireplaces, Vents and Solid Fuel Burning appliances, N.F.P.A. 211 (Latest Edition) or applicable National, Provincial, State or local codes. The installation shall conform to CAN/CSA-B365, Installation Code for Solid-Fuel-Burning Appliances and Equipment. The factory built zero-clearance fireplace and its chimney must be listed per UL 127 or ULC S610 standards.
Warning: Under no circumstances is this heater to be installed in a makeshift or "temporary" manner. :ZZZ

Reactions: BCC_Burner
How are you planning to protect all of the combustibles in/around/above/below that opening?
That's a moot point. The insert can not be installed in that space. The two options for that location are either a replacement ZC or opening it up for an alcove installation of a qualifying freestanding stove. Both will need new chimney pipe.

Reactions: BCC_Burner
That's a moot point. The insert can not be installed in that space. The two options for that location are either a replacement ZC with new chimney pipe or opening it up for an alcove installation of a qualifying freestanding stove.

You're correct, I was thinking of a freestander in an alcove. That was a brain fart.

That's a moot point. The insert can not be installed in that space. The two options for that location are either a replacement ZC or opening it up for an alcove installation of a qualifying freestanding stove. Both will need new chimney pipe.
Terrible news for me. What do i do!!? _g

Sorry, I know it's bad news, but this is a non-starter. Call the dealer and explain your error and see if it can be exchanged. Then figure out what works best for the space. We'll help you out once we know the desired plan, budget and space dimensions.

Reactions: PAbeech
Sorry, I know it's bad news, but this is a non-starter. Call the dealer and explain your error and see if it can be exchanged. Then figure out what works best for the space. We'll help you out once we know the desired plan, budget and space dimensions.
Thanks i appreciate it.

Part of the confusion may be due to bad marketing information that describes a ZC fireplace as an "insert". That has confused a lot of people. It's why we try to use the term "insert" only for a stove designed to be inserted into an existing fireplace.

Part of the confusion may be due to bad marketing information that describes a ZC fireplace as an "insert". That has confused a lot of people. It's why we try to use the term "insert" only for a stove designed to be inserted into an existing fireplace.
Yah its all making sense now. :(

Can you post a picture of the entire wall there? Is the fireplace chase on an interior or exterior wall?

Yes, interior wall shot of the old FP location so that we can see what options may be available.

Yes, interior wall shot of the old FP location so that we can see what options may be available.
If you need others let me know. I have the space covered right now

Attachments

• 20210519_145526.jpg
    20210519_145526.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 177
  • 20210527_130314.jpg
    20210527_130314.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 183
  • 20210527_130210.jpg
    20210527_130210.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 183
It’s a really good thing you posted on here. That would have had disastrous results. I once had a customer call because they had installed a coal insert into a zero clearance hole.

Reactions: PAbeech

Thanks, that helps. As noted earlier, the two options for replacement are a) a new ZC fireplace which can be much more efficient, or b) opening up the area to create an alcove for a qualifying freestanding stove.
Option a) may require lowering the hearth for some ZC fireplaces
Option b) would eliminate the TV location.

What is the ultimate goal here? More efficient fireplace for occasional fires or a good 24/7 heater?

Thanks, that helps. As noted earlier, the two options for replacement are a) a new ZC fireplace which can be much more efficient, or b) opening up the area to create an alcove for a qualifying freestanding stove.
Option a) may require lowering the hearth for some ZC fireplaces
Option b) would eliminate the TV location.

What is the ultimate goal here? More efficient fireplace for occasional fires or a good 24/7 heater?
I need this as my main heat source. So 24/7 heat. I like the idea of the alcove. So does the wife as i showed her the above thread i sent you, that guy did a nice job. Also weve hated the entertainment setup since we moved into this home so removing the tv is a plus.

OK, this is possible. It's great that your wife is on board. Good teamwork always helps. This will take opening up the chased area on the interior to at least the 7 ft. level. Then a stove needs to be chosen. In order to recommend options we need to know what is being heated, so several questions:
How large is the room that the fireplace is in? How open is this room to the rest of the house? What is the total sq ftg being heated? What is the ceiling height?

OK, this is possible. It's great that your wife is on board. Good teamwork always helps. This will take opening up the chased area on the interior to at least the 7 ft. level. Then a stove needs to be chosen. In order to recommend options we need to know what is being heated, so several questions:
How large is the room that the fireplace is in? How open is this room to the rest of the house? What is the total sq ftg being heated? What is the ceiling height?
Im assuming the ceiling height is is between 25-30 ft. The whole house is 1700 sqft and it has a second story loft that is open, down the hall from our master bedroom. Its a small home, im told its a "salt box"style home

OK, it will need a ceiling fan in order to move the heat that will pocket near the peak. What looks do you envision when this is completed. Contemporary, classic, or unsure?

The Summit freestanding stove requires 59" wide alcove. This can be reduced to 51" with proper shielding, but that is still too wide for the space unless PE tech support permits a greater reduction of side clearances. What brands of stoves does the dealer that sold the Summit carry? Just PE or others too?

OK, it will need a ceiling fan in order to move the heat that will pocket near the peak. What looks do you envision when this is completed. Contemporary, classic, or unsure?

The Summit freestanding stove requires 59" wide alcove. This can be reduced to 51" with proper shielding, but that is still too wide for the space unless PE tech support permits a greater reduction of side clearances. What brands of stoves does the dealer that sold the Summit carry? Just PE or others too?
https://fireplacesrus.net/ thats his website.i like the buck stove models and As far looks im thinking more classic with stone or brick. Whatever is more affordable of course.

Buck Stoves are quite radiant on the sides with high clearances. This is a critical factor for an alcove install. It will limit choices.

Where did the Summit insert come from?