Pacific insert install, so close, please help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
legrandice said:
tkuhe - where in MA are you? I just installed the same insert two months ago and had a heck of a time getting it into the insert as well. I have a 2 sided fireplace and ended up pushing from the back while my buddy pulled from the front. We were able to bend the liner by pulling it down further and then when the bend was made, pushing it back up.

I am in Acton, Ma.
I just ordered the 30 degree and will have it on Monday.
I was trying to avoid doing what you did because I am trying to seal my block off plate and there isn't enough room for me to reach up in after it is installed.

UGH!!

So I got the elbow in today and when I go to put it on the liner I noticed that it isn't a very tight fit. When I shine a light behind it and look up I can see light coming through? Is this a major concern? Can or should I try and seal off the gap? Anyone?

tkuhe said:
UGH!!

So I got the elbow in today and when I go to put it on the liner I noticed that it isn't a very tight fit. When I shine a light behind it and look up I can see light coming through? Is this a major concern? Can or should I try and seal off the gap? Anyone?

Put a good coating of furnace cement around the bottom of the flange inside the elbow then shove the liner into it and tighten the band. Stuff will be still be there when archeologists excavate the remains of your house a few centuries from now.

Thanks BB, will do. Should I do the same thing where the elbow slides into the insert? Seal the elbow to the insert with furnace cement?

Furnace cement and three screws there. Furnace cement is the chimney installer's duct tape. All you're trying to do is get the joint "pretty well" sealed up. If they're properly assembled (male ends all pointing downward), and the system has good draft, then even if the joints aren't perfectly airtight, all they're gonna do is draw air into the flue through the leaks. Rick

fossil said:
Furnace cement and three screws there. Furnace cement is the chimney installer's duct tape. All you're trying to do is get the joint "pretty well" sealed up. If they're properly assembled (male ends all pointing downward), and the system has good draft, then even if the joints aren't perfectly airtight, all they're gonna do is draw air into the flue through the leaks. Rick

I believe he bought the band connected elbow Rick. Won't need screws with that.

yes I did. But what about the crimped part of the pipe in the insert. That too is a pretty loose fit.

fossil said:

Rick are you replying to my question about the crimped end in the stove?

Yep. Bead of furnace cement around the inside of the flue collar on the stove and three screws. I missed the question about the flue collar.

The crimped end that slips into the flue collar on the top of the appliance is the joint I thought we were talking about. I understand that the elbow came with a band clamp where it connects to the liner above, so no screws up there. I've only ever installed freestanding woodstoves, never a chimney liner, so understand that you're by no means talking to a professional here, but I think that at the flue collar you want to use furnace cement and screws. Rick

Yeah, sorry about that Rick. I zipped through too fast and just saw your post and not the one about the flue collar. Cyber senior moment. :red:

Soon I will be changing my screen name to Denny Crane.

OK, the insert is in and now I am attaching the surround and side panels and I would like to double check something. When I put the right side panel on, I seem to be putting a decent amount of force on the motor. I don't know that I remember that when I took the side panels off? Also, the side panels just attach to the stove front via 2 screws and not to the surround at all, correct? There are holes on both side of the side panels but they only line up with the front of the stove, not with the surround.
Am I doing something wrong here or am I just being to critical. Also, there was one screw without any coating, is that a ground screw for connecting the motor controls?

Attachments

• photo(2).jpg
    photo(2).jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 189
  • photo(3).jpg
    photo(3).jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 203
  • photo(4).jpg
    photo(4).jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 216
First burn tonight and so far so good. Thanks to everyone who helped a noob get through this install.

-Tucker

Attachments

• photo(5).jpg
    photo(5).jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 162
Congrats !!!!

You are going to love this insert !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.