PE Super Insert. Opinions/Info?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Squisher

Minister of Fire
Nov 1, 2015
vernon BC, Canada
Hello,

I am considering closing up my open fireplace and installing a insert. This would be used on only the coldest days of the year or for ambiance. So I've been keeping my eyes open locally for any goodused options.

There is this PE super listed locally that comes with 12ft of liner for $400. Only the one picture in their ad. And I've requested a couple more. But I'm thinking I could clean this sucker up quite nicely for the price if it turns out to be in good shape.

I'm looking for any advice on things to look for besides obvious signs of overfiring. Also curious what sort of changes have occurred with this model over the years.

All opinions and comments welcome.

Thanks,

IMG_1087.PNG

Well it's for real atleast, the seller has contacted me. So I may go look at this tonight or tomorrow if the interior pics look decent.

Am I overthinking it? Seems like a no brainer. For 4 bills Canadian. A little rough looking around the edges but not to bad. A little paint and elbow grease could bring it back almost new looking I bet?

I am very curious how/if this stove has changed throughout the years and if this is an older unit how that may affect my decision. I'm supposed to be getting a pic of the data label on it too.

That is a steal of a deal. The construction is essentially a smaller 2 cu ft version of your Summit, but with a coupled secondary air control instead of the EBT. There haven't been many changes. Look for baffle warping, general signs of overfiring, but from the pic it looks very promising.

I'm going to look at it I think hopefully today.

Here's the interior pics and the date of manufacture. A bit older but the baffle and supports look really good to me in the photo. Baffle pin is missing obviously but that's common.

I never try to get to excited about classifieds, until it's loaded and paid for.

IMG_1088.JPG IMG_1089.JPG

Looks like a 2001 model? Hope it looks good in person. My guess is the blower motor may need replacing or at least a good cleaning and oiling. Good luck.

Yah. Dec 2001 for manufacture. Fifteen years old. I'll look it over good, but for the occasional use that I'm looking for I think it might just fit the bill. This is the exact insert I've been considering new.

Looks like it could use a few new pumice firebricks. It's a simple stove with all parts still available.

And it's in the back of my truck about to be pulled into my shop! Original owner, still had the manual. He tore his old house down and was building a new one, said he'd keep it and use it still except he didn't want/need a masonry fireplace so he was installing a PE zero clearance. Nice guy. Everything seems very good condition. I'll probably re-brick it for certain. Surround and all the screws/nuts and bolts are there. The liner is quite discoloured but top plate and cap included too. I'll get some pics in a bit.

Grabbed the liner/top plate/cap. But I dunno about reinstalling a 15 year old liner. Too short for what I have possibly already anyways.

Pretty filthy but I'm tearing it right down and cleaning it all.

IMG_1092.JPG IMG_1095.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats, you scored well. With some cleanup and new bricks it should give you many years of warm pleasure.

Reactions: Squisher
thanks. I'm thinking I may need to paint it. Gonna have to research that. Then I'll have to sort the install. I think I'm going to want a bit of extra height and will probably have to break out liners if I want to insulate. Gotta measure it up and inspect things. I'd like to do it up right though. Gotta make a plan. I'm in no rush.

Can anyone confirm what the style of paint it is that PE uses on their base steel stoves like this one and my summit? Also does anyone have any tips for painting the bit of brass/gold trim that I have on this unit?

Any tips/thoughts are much appreciated. I'm kind of up in the air over the gold colouring but my wife really wants it all black, so you know how that's going to go.

I've been kicking around different install ideas but really need to measure the height of the existing flue. I could almost install with what I've got on hand and then buy a three foot piece to extend the top of my chimney to make 15'. That's if it's only 12' right now and this old liner would fit? Just kind of spitballing. The cheapness in me almost wants to go that route and try to keep this under $500 for the stove and the install. I don't plan to burn this unit more than part time as the summit in the basement will always be my go to 24/7 heater. Also my basement is finished and my daughters room is down there so the basement always needs to be heated. Just thinking this liner,used as it is may last me a lifetime? And I can easily inspect it myself, video it even periodically if I'm curious.

I thought it was Stove Bright metallic black , but could be wrong. Check with thechimneysweep to be sure. Sand the gold trim with fine 400 grit sandpaper to give it some tooth before paint.

The only thing missing from what I got with the stove is a appliance adapter and a storm collar. And from my basement install I had left over an appliance adapter that was included in my liner kit for some reason as well as an extra storm collar. I would be going in-insulated if I used what I have but the clay liners are in good shape and I would still do a block off plate and stuff roxul around the liner in the chimney?

The worst part is that right now I'm insured with the existing open masonry fireplace. But as soon as I install this insert my insurance is void until I have the install certified. Which I won't be able to certify installs until sometime next spring. So I would have to hire one of my competitors to certify it. Expensive vs free and maybe they would? Maybe they wouldn't?

So my real options are to wait, or to install it anyways and either not use it, or just install it and use it.

I plan to do a bunch of confirming of clearances, before proceeding

Thanks Begreen. I thought that's what it was too. Metallic. I will look on thechinneysweep site too.

So I've stripped it right down, sanded and cleaned everything and have got two coats onto the back/offside of all parts

That Stovebright metallic black is a little tough to work with. I'll re-iterate what I had researched about it to shake it up very well.

Hopefully my two cans I bought will be enough to finish the fronts but we'll see. I also secured some sheet metal for my block off plate.

Today I hope to finish the painting and then its onto the fireplace. Cleaning and removing the damper and lots of measuring.

IMG_1118.JPG

Yep, Stove Bright Black Metallic,
Go with 2 light coats rather than heavy coats.

Attachments

• SAM_6510.JPG
    SAM_6510.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 116
  • SAM_6511.JPG
    SAM_6511.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 112
Do yourself afavor and paint the inside of the gray casing sides at least near the front & also the air diverter channels. Then you won't see all that gray.

If the firebricks have never been flipped, you can spin them around Back side to front)and get a few more years out of them.

Thanks for the tips. I was wondering about spraying in there. I've done two light coats barely on the front side of the parts today and am going to have to get more paint next week.

A bunch of the bricks are newer for certain, just a few were bad really. The rest seem fairly recently replaced.

I've got to pick up new door and window gaskets as well.

And I've got to sort my install. My masonry liners are 6x13 interior dimension. So time to research liners, I measured and the used liner that came with it is about two and a half feet to short even if I was tempted to use it. And I was tempted to be honest. Lol.

So here's my dilemma. Do I bust out tiles and try to get a insulated six inch down there? Or try to get away with 5.5" on about 14'-14.5' of interior masonry chimney? Either way I plan to stuff the smoke chamber with roxul and use a block off plate. As well as stuff the top of the chimney with roxul and seal the top plate.

Again trying to do this on the lowest outlay of cash. I have access to duraflex but in the listings I have I see no mention of insulation or ovalized pipe. I haven't perused the entire catalog but I have looked over all my price sheets that were supplied to me, and generally that means that's about all they are going to stock or be able to get me at a reasonable price.

I draft well off my basement setup which I installed uninsulated and left the liners in. It works really well with very little build up and only clean soot. I guess that's why I'm tempted to go without it upstairs as well. But I hate having to do stuff over.

Also curious if I go with the small liner and then need a little more pull if I couldn't just do a 3' extension of class A?

What would you do?

Thanks for the tips. I was wondering about spraying in there. I've done two light coats barely on the front side of the parts today and am going to have to get more paint next week.

A bunch of the bricks are newer for certain, just a few were bad really. The rest seem fairly recently replaced.

I've got to pick up new door and window gaskets as well.

And I've got to sort my install. My masonry liners are 6x13 interior dimension. So time to research liners, I measured and the used liner that came with it is about two and a half feet to short even if I was tempted to use it. And I was tempted to be honest. Lol.
Put the worst bricks on the bottom. They get buried in ash anyway.
Make sure you get the correct high density gasket.
Why not use the liner with a coupler and another short section of liner?

I was thinking of adding a few feet to that liner but it's 6" so isn't going to fit down without some coaxing. And at presumably 15 years old with some obvious hotspots over the years I was thinking of just getting a new 15' 5.5" liner.

Then atleast I would know the liner is new. I'm not to worried about it and would use it if I could. But I can get a new 15' piece of pipe for pretty reasonable.

I'm hoping the gaskets aren't to much. I'll have to go through a dealer for them.

Paint almost done. I'll need one more can to get another light coat or two on the brass/gold and it'll be good.

I used a can of imperial black I had to paint the grey box. Thanks for the tip on that Hogwildz.

IMG_1120.JPG IMG_1121.JPG

Ok. So after looking at liners enough to make my head spin. I'm going to get a quote on a duraliner set up I think. I believe six inch ovalized will work with a section of flex at the bottom. I'm uncertain if a section of wrapped(insulated) flex will fit down? 6x13 interior dimension of the flue liners. If it will fit. This seems like maybe my best bet and I can probably fanangle a extra 1' or 2' at the top I'm hoping depending on how I can make the pipe line up to the top plate.

Just need to determine if it will fit and what sort of appliance adapter I'll need. If itll need to be angled or not? And the price.

Lots to figure out and do to get this done properly.