Picked up my Jotul

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Whosehot

Mar 19, 2017
Vermont
I picked up my Jotul insert, the Kennebec model, the other day and it will be installed on the 24th. I had gotten a quote from one installer who came highly recommended. He came in at $2,000 for about 15 feet of liner, and other materials needed for installation. I thought that sounded awfully high? So I had a second guy come in, and he quoted $1,250. He also came with some pretty good credentials and positive reviews. When I told guy #1 that I was going to use another installer, he asked what he quoted. I told him $1,250, and he said, "Well, you just have to be sure you're comparing apples to apples, and for that money, I doubt you are". So I questioned the $1250 guy about his materials, and he said he's been using a heavy duty 304SS liner for over 10 yrs. and has nothing but good thing to say about performance and endurance (so far). I have 2 artificial knees and have had 2 back surgeries. From what I've seen on line, it's not a tough job, and if I were younger and healthier, I may have tried this myself. On the other hand, I feel really good about having an experienced pro doing it. I guess my question is, does it sound normal to have such a wide gap in quotes?

Stainless liner kits start @ $300. Thicker heavy-duty liners are available for more $. If you isulate the liner, that's another few hundred. So yeah, the materials add up, but I think $2k sounds a lil' high for 15'. I did it myself, and I'm no Red Green.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/wiki/do-you-need-a-chimney-liner/

I would ask that any estimate include a block-off plate. If they don't want to do this part of the job, find someone who will.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/wiki/make-a-damper-sealing-block-off-plate/

Last edited:
I guess my question is, does it sound normal to have such a wide gap in quotes?
Yes we only use heavy wall liners and we are normally considerably higher than other quotes if they are using light wall. But when we install a liner we want it to last 30+ years and we are comfortable that heavy wall will do that not so with light wall. Also many others dont insulate or do block off plates which brings their prices down as well.

My dealer wanted a $600 for a basic install. Mind you this is just labor. I did it myself with a help of my 3 buddies. The hardest part for me was brining my insert up the stairs. 15' is not bad. See if you can get some of your friends help you and save few bucks.

Here in CT it can vary that much- my friend who does a lot of installs for the store here is usually the least expensive and I'd trust his work over anyone else I've seen install, for a 15 foot liner (ranch home sounds like???) with a blockoff plate and insulation under the top plate area he'd be around 1200-1300, but other installers range in price. Prices will be more reasonable now that spring is coming and less work is available. It sounds like the lower costing installer is going to do a good job too....

I've seen install, for a 15 foot liner (ranch home sounds like???) with a blockoff plate and insulation under the top plate area
No insulation on the liner???? That is almost always an absolute requirement if he doesn't do it his work should not be trusted and most likely is not up to code.

does it sound normal to have such a wide gap in quotes
I'd follow Bholler's recommendations, make sure who ever is installing the insert follows all clearance requirements (includes mantel and floor protection) Have a block off plate installed and make sure the liner is insulated for both safety and function.

BTW when I read Bholler's comments the voice in my head sounds like the Black Knight from Family guy.

Reactions: bholler
I picked up my Jotul insert, the Kennebec model, the other day and it will be installed on the 24th. I had gotten a quote from one installer who came highly recommended. He came in at $2,000 for about 15 feet of liner, and other materials needed for installation. I thought that sounded awfully high? So I had a second guy come in, and he quoted $1,250. He also came with some pretty good credentials and positive reviews. When I told guy #1 that I was going to use another installer, he asked what he quoted. I told him $1,250, and he said, "Well, you just have to be sure you're comparing apples to apples, and for that money, I doubt you are". So I questioned the $1250 guy about his materials, and he said he's been using a heavy duty 304SS liner for over 10 yrs. and has nothing but good thing to say about performance and endurance (so far). I have 2 artificial knees and have had 2 back surgeries. From what I've seen on line, it's not a tough job, and if I were younger and healthier, I may have tried this myself. On the other hand, I feel really good about having an experienced pro doing it. I guess my question is, does it sound normal to have such a wide gap in quotes?

Sorry, my bad. Both of those quotes included insulation, and storm cap. I'm not sure what you guys mean by a block off plate, but if that is what goes over the top of the chimney, with the new liner coming up through it, yes both quotes included block off plates. Sorry for the confusion.

Sorry, my bad. Both of those quotes included insulation, and storm cap. I'm not sure what you guys mean by a block off plate, but if that is what goes over the top of the chimney, with the new liner coming up through it, yes both quotes included block off plates. Sorry for the confusion.
"Welcome apprentices" lol now that's out if the way, a block off plate is usually made of sheet metal and mounted just above your insert in the smoke shelf area, the idea of this plate is to keep the majority of the heat the stove produces in the fire place area and blown out into the living space rather than rise and heat your chimney or get absorbed into the masonry.
Many members here have ran there inserts without one, only to install one after reading threads here and have said they've seen excellent results, some members have added non combustible insulation to the top of there plate effectively insulating there fire chamber and have claimed even better results than with just a metal plate.
Look up block off plates in the search feature and see for yourself the results, there's some really good threads with awesome pictures and instructions / hints.

Reactions: isabellehobson
I'm not sure what you guys mean by a block off plate, but if that is what goes over the top of the chimney, with the new liner coming up through it, yes both quotes included block off plates.
That would be the top plate. A block-off plate goes at the damper throat and blocks off the bottom of the chimney. This can make a big difference in increased heating with an exterior wall chimney. It's an extra expense, but the improved heating is worth it in this case. There are many threads on this topic and a couple articles:
https://www.hearth.com/talk/wiki/why-damper-seal-is-needed/
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...ock-off-plate-for-a-masonry-fireplace.147679/

Reactions: isabellehobson
That would be the top plate. A block-off plate goes at the damper throat and blocks off the bottom of the chimney. This can make a big difference in increased heating with an exterior wall chimney. It's an extra expense, but the improved heating is worth it in this case. There are many threads on this topic and a couple articles:
https://www.hearth.com/talk/wiki/why-damper-seal-is-needed/
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...ock-off-plate-for-a-masonry-fireplace.147679/
Thanks very much for the info and links. I appreciate that a lot. I will discuss this with the installer.

"Welcome apprentices" lol now that's out if the way, a block off plate is usually made of sheet metal and mounted just above your insert in the smoke shelf area, the idea of this plate is to keep the majority of the heat the stove produces in the fire place area and blown out into the living space rather than rise and heat your chimney or get absorbed into the masonry.
Many members here have ran there inserts without one, only to install one after reading threads here and have said they've seen excellent results, some members have added non combustible insulation to the top of there plate effectively insulating there fire chamber and have claimed even better results than with just a metal plate.
Look up block off plates in the search feature and see for yourself the results, there's some really good threads with awesome pictures and instructions / hints.

Kenny, How do I access the search feature on this forum? I don't see it.

Kenny, How do I access the search feature on this forum? I don't see it.
If your in the hearth room look at the top of the screen you will see from left to right : hearth .com, home, media, forums ... etc, look all the way to the right you will see a magnifying glass next to stove reviews, click on the magnifying glass

If your in the hearth room look at the top of the screen you will see from left to right : hearth .com, home, media, forums ... etc, look all the way to the right you will see a magnifying glass next to stove reviews, click on the magnifying glass

Thanks Kenny. I had clicked on everything but the magnifier. LOL

I had clicked on everything but the magnifier. LOL
If you hover on 'forums' you will get a drop-down with 'search forums.'