Pics of 1 cord of wood in pile please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Here is a photo one cord or very slightly less delivered yesterday. I have been buying from this woodsman for five years. He custom cuts to what I like for easy loading for my stove. My stacked cords measure a little bit lighter than his trailer measured loose cord but I am fine with that. His price in the past has been lower than most. In Maine 180 cubic feel of loose piled 16 inch wood is recognized as a cord.

F49ADAB8-0BD6-4B18-8AF8-1527C479080D.jpeg

How does he custom cut to what you like - after drying it?
(Seems like a tough economic proposition: what to do with all the few inch cut offs? Labor in getting it cut?)

I also ask the guy I buy wood from to cut 14 - 16 inches, rather than his standard 16 - 18 inches. He said that he also likes 14 - 16" even though his stove can take much larger.

He has a small woods operation, just him and a skidder. Firewood is a side thing. He bucks up the firewood in the site yard and splits it with simple splitter, hand loads his trailer and delivers it green. My cook stove’s firebox is 16 1/4 inches and the top load opening is just 14 3/4”. Some times larger 16 inch splits can catch and jam on top. I mostly load from the front door where 16 inch wood is fine but 15“ also fits more comfortably.

All these piles still look bigger than my pile I received. Hmmmm. That video when dumped, also looks like alot more thay mine

You stacked and measured and got more than 128 cu ft. You got your money's worth. The dumped pic above he posts they go 180 cu ft. for a cord, it should look like a bigger pile.