PowerSpout

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rearscreen

Minister of Fire
Dec 21, 2014
Vermont
I have a spring fed house with the pipe starting way up hill. There is a constant feed/loop that runs through a pipe in the basement. The pump pulls off of this constant running water. Reason for this I assume is freezing - so the pipe from the source down to the house doesn't freeze as it's constantly moving. Has anyone used the PowerSpout? I'd like to, in my idealistic brain, hook a mini hydro generator up and tie into the grid as this water runs 24/7 and when I listen closely to the pipe the water is saying "hey you idiot, this is free energy".

Seems worth looking further into especially if there is a decent head to the waterflow.
http://www.powerspout.com/
They list dealers in the US so it appears to be approved for US application. Most likely these installations are off-grid anyway.

They have an interesting video, a New Zealand chap outside demonstrating that a washing machine has a stater and rotor similar to what is inside of this thing. I liked the video because it really shows what is going on inside a hydro pump and a wind powered generator.

Have you done some preliminary measuring & try their calculator? Think you would only need elevation drop, and GPM.

I think there is huge potential in this world for microhydro.

I agree. It seems like an ideal way to decentralize power production, or even for a town to recoup some of the costs to pump water up into the water towers to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.