Princess and Ashford 30

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Or simply turn up the t-stat, and you still have the benefit of being able burn slow when needed. Running on high is fine.
Yes but according to the normal burn time claims of bk guys even on high bks have much longer burn times than comperable stoves. So either their high is not as high or the burn times claimed on high are untrue.

Yes but according to the normal burn time claims of bk guys even on high bks have much longer burn times than comperable stoves. So either their high is not as high or the burn times claimed on high are untrue.
Or it could that the firebox is a much more usable shape. That’s another area where there’s not much truth in advertising. Some even measure firebox volume without the baffle in place... my Lopi Cape Cod was 3’ cubic feet, but it’s shape prevented it from being fully loaded.

Or it could that the firebox is a much more usable shape. That’s another area where there’s not much truth in advertising. Some even measure firebox volume without the baffle in place... my Lopi Cape Cod was 3’ cubic feet, but it’s shape prevented it from being fully loaded.
Really?

Right, some companies are still reasonable about reporting usable volume. And some don't list it at all!

Reactions: bholler
I was speaking of stoves in general. Not just stoves that are compared to BK. I thought you were comparing stoves with comparable firebox sizes? A 2.85 cubic foot stove can’t necessarily be compared to another stove the same size. That’s my point.

I was speaking of stoves in general. Not just stoves that are compared to BK. I thought you were comparing stoves with comparable firebox sizes? A 2.85 cubic foot stove can’t necessarily be compared to another stove the same size. That’s my point.
And you are right that not all advertised firebox sizes are accurate. But many are. And bk lists lower btu output than most other stoves of comperable advertised size.

I dont know why you guys wont just accept the fact that peak output is not bk's strong point. They have many others but that isnt one.

And you are right that not all advertised firebox sizes are accurate. But many are. And bk lists lower btu output than most other stoves of comperable advertised size.

I dont know why you guys wont just accept the fact that peak output is not bk's strong point. They have many others but that isnt one.
As always, you’ve got it all figured out. Maybe try speaking from personal experience when saying what stoves can and can’t do?

Reactions: Cast Iron
BK rates their stove output differently. They provide what I find is ultimately a more usable spec. Most stoves list peak output which is not that usable when the peak is only sustained for 1-3 hrs, then in steady decline, so that over a 10 hr heating period the total btu output may be say 300,000 btus. BK says that their stove will produce 46,000 btus/hr steady for 10 hrs. That is actually a higher output over the length of the burn.

As always, you’ve got it all figured out. Maybe try speaking from personal experience when saying what stoves can and can’t do?
People dont like it when i do that either.

BK rates their stove output differently. They provide what I find is ultimately a more usable spec. Most stoves list peak output which is not that usable when the peak is only sustained for 1-3 hrs, then in steady decline. So that over a 10 hr heating period the total btu output may be say 300,000 btus. BK says that their stove will produce 46,000 btus/hr steady for 10 hrs. That is actually a higher output over the length of the burn.
Yes absolutly that is right. They without a doubt put out much more even heat. And over many parts of the burn cycle they will be putting out more btus. But on really cold nights i can just add more wood as soon as the temp starts to drop to maintain the peak. You cant turn up the thermostat past high.

BK rates their stove output differently. They provide what I find is ultimately a more usable spec. Most stoves list peak output which is not that usable when the peak is only sustained for 1-3 hrs, then in steady decline, so that over a 10 hr heating period the total btu output may be say 300,000 btus. BK says that their stove will produce 46,000 btus/hr steady for 10 hrs. That is actually a higher output over the length of the burn.

You would think the epa rating “procedure” would require all stoves to be rated the same way. That would certainly be my expectation as well as the expectation of the public.

Unless that occurs bk could be losing sales due to the low output spec. Maybe that’s their business decision.

Yes absolutly that is right. They without a doubt put out much more even heat. And over many parts of the burn cycle they will be putting out more btus. But on really cold nights i can just add more wood as soon as the temp starts to drop to maintain the peak. You cant turn up the thermostat past high.
You’ve gotta get your hands on one man. Running full blast makes crazy heat! I have never felt that the stove was lacking anything on high. Non-cats run the risk of overfiring if left on high, a Bk won’t. I like the peace of mind when I do need more output. I can run 800 stovetop with no problem.

You would think the epa rating “procedure” would require all stoves to be rated the same way. That would certainly be my expectation as well as the expectation of the public.

Unless that occurs bk could be losing sales due to the low output spec. Maybe that’s their business decision.
They are doing fine they have enough other strong points. And for many people that peak btu is rarely or never needed.

I'd love to see a BK in Ben's house for a season and an IS in yours. That would provide some interesting comparisons. I'd also like an avowed BK owner running a Quad Adventure III for a season.

You’ve gotta get your hands on one man. Running full blast makes crazy heat! I have never felt that the stove was lacking anything on high. Non-cats run the risk of overfiring if left on high, a Bk won’t. I like the peace of mind when I do need more output. I can run 800 stovetop with no problem.
I can easily run at 800 as well. And as said before just because i own one doesnt mean i have never operated one. The biggest difference i have seen confirmed by thermal images shown here is that even on high bks have a really hot spot right over the cat. The rest of the stove is cooler. Non cats and hybrids have higher temps over more surface area.

The benifit of the stove protecting itself is great though. No argument there at all.

Reactions: allan5oh
My understanding is that stoves get an equal fuel charge for the EPA testing. Is that correct? If so, it would seem that the stove that extracts the maximum BTUs for the same given load of fuel is the most efficient. Is that a fair statement?

I'd love to see a BK in Ben's house for a season and an IS in yours. That would provide some interesting comparisons. I'd also like an avowed BK owner running a Quad Adventure III for a season.
When the time comes to replace my regency there is a good possibility there will be a chinook in my basement. I think it would be a great fot for my new house.

My understanding is that stoves get an equal fuel charge for the EPA testing. Is that correct? If so, it would seem that the stove that extracts the maximum BTUs for the same given load of fuel is the most efficient. Is that a fair statement?
That is over simplified but yes that is my understanding as well.

Ok guys this Btu thing needs to stop and here is why. Btu's are NOT regulated. There is no requirement for manufacturers to list or prove actual btu production capability.

Be green is correct. Bholler is correct and webby is correct. Stand in front of ANY stove, toss is small dimensional fuel every four minutes and you can reach peak btu capability....but wait, you'll need an optimal chimney to get that peak performance. And really good fuel and low m.c. and air spacing as you load.

No need to argue btu's as they are often not credible.

No one has ever accused us of saying our products do not produce the heat output we advertise. Im standin outside in Fairbanks, where it was 4 thus morning. 9 of every 10 folks have one of our heaters....why?

As the customers here say..."it does the job". Certainly the best way to evaluate performance and doesn't get any more real world....

This guy BKVP rocks. Why none of the other makers speak up is well beyond my rank.
Full disclosure--the BK Ashford could not meet the requirements we needed. If BK could engineer a top load, WITH a reasonable enamel color like the Jotul blue-black ( the BK enamel colors don't do it for the Boss ), there would be no question that the Ashford would be the one. The effeciency, service, reliability ...and this BKVP responses.
She will not stand for a front load, or a side load anymore. I salute rders.

This guy BKVP rocks. Why none of the other makers speak up is well beyond my rank.
Full disclosure--the BK Ashford could not meet the requirements we needed. If BK could engineer a top load, WITH a reasonable enamel color like the Jotul blue-black ( the BK enamel colors don't do it for the Boss ), there would be no question that the Ashford would be the one. The effeciency, service, reliability ...and this BKVP responses.
There are a few others that do but not as often or as well as bkvp.

Stoveguy from englander hasnt been here in a while he used to be a regular and very helpfull as well

Have you thought about trading her in? Top load stoves are very problematic. And are kinda hard to find, not many choices, few of which are dependable heaters.

Reactions: bholler