Proud Owner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bulldogbones

Feb 10, 2010
Upstate NY
Well guys I got an e-mail from the seller last night but he didnt say whether or not he would be around today... So I jumped in the truck on a leap of faith an took off at 3:30 this morning an drove 4.5 hrs to RI and sat in a lowes parking lot HOPING I woul hear back from this guy... Well after 3hrs of sitting a lunch at Panera he calls to meet.

All I can say is this boiler is MINT. I'll take pics tomorrow in the daylight. But these pics im about to post dont do it justice. There isnt a stitch of rust anywhere, it sat in a basement that had a painted concrete floor. Paint is all original and shiny, I took off all the sheet metal to trasnport it and the jacket is still shiny original black. Here is where it gets good. His basement entrance way LOL is more like a pit. it measure 4x4 by 12' deep. yeah we basically had to winch 1100lbs straight up until the winch gave up then I hooked my 8,500lb truck to it and pulled it the rest of the way.

So here she is as craigslist showed it..... and I got it for $1,500 with what looks to be all the original paper work and manual.

3nc3mb3pd5Y25Q55S3a8t1f29eaef119018b2.jpg

3k63m03lc5T25Q45X5a8t933bea355ba51af7.jpg

3md3pf3le5Y15Q25X5a8td9d72a8026c91cd9.jpg

3k03oe3lb5T25W55S6a8t360f8624a76a199f.jpg

Awesome score, good for you bro.

Congratulations! Enjoy!

That looks like a top of the line non gasser. If you run it with good dry wood & watch that you don't idle it you should be fine the first year. If you add storage you can let it run flat out. That was a good find, Randy

Nice score. When looking at used Tarms, how do you know if its a gasser or not?

SolarAndWood said:
Nice score. When looking at used Tarms, how do you know if its a gasser or not?
Down draft gassers should have ceramic nozzles at the bottom of the primary chamber. I would expect this tarm to have a grate of some kind, Randy

So there is no it needs to have this sheet metal or this model and up or serial and up? I have wasted a couple trips only to find the "new never used boiler" is 30 years old.

SolarAndWood said:
So there is no it needs to have this sheet metal or this model and up or serial and up? I have wasted a couple trips only to find the "new never used boiler" is 30 years old.
Are you looking for a gasser or non gasser? If it's a non gasser it doesn't matter much if it's 30 years old, just that it is in great shape. I believe all the orange tarms are going to be non gassers. Randy

I put a 250 gallon tank in my basement for storage. I know its on the small side but its the largest tank I could get in my basement, its 41" long before the hemisphere starts and its 38" high. So from my calculations its a 250. Hopefully that will be enough storage we shall see I guess.

Singed Eyebrows said:
Are you looking for a gasser or non gasser?

I'd prefer a gasser but it is hard to argue with Bulldog's deal. My fuel ends up being less than $15/cord, so it would take a long time for a new one to pay for itself based on efficiency alone.

SolarAndWood said:
Singed Eyebrows said:
Are you looking for a gasser or non gasser?

I'd prefer a gasser but it is hard to argue with Bulldog's deal. My fuel ends up being less than $15/cord, so it would take a long time for a new one to pay for itself based on efficiency alone.
For me, efficiency wasn't all that important, it was the creosote. As you said it's hard to argue with a like new approx. 5000.00 boiler for $1500. If you burn dry wood & don't idle them a non gasser should be fine. Storage would help a lot from what I've read. One example is the Biasi 3 Wood. Some say they burn clean & others have taken them out because of creosote. Wood around here is piled by the side of the road. One person said they had to cut it to firewood size to get people to take it, Randy

SolarAndWood said:

hey I just realized your down in SYR just down the road from me. The tarms that are the 20-30 year old ones are the orange ones. Then they turned blue and I think they started being made mid 90's.

Just keep watching craigslist and ebay. I started using Google Chrome as my Internet program and opened a new tab for each city ie. watertown,Syr,Albany......... that way you dont have to keep clicking back and forth and pasting what your searching for in the search box. Also vwditech I beleive is the sellers name on ebay, sells a fair ammount of stoves on ebay. I almost bought the same unit I just got from him but I was a day late.

Do you know how to do an RSS feed? If so thats a really easy way to track new stuff on craigslist and ebay.

bulldogbones said:
SolarAndWood said:

hey I just realized your down in SYR just down the road from me. The tarms that are the 20-30 year old ones are the orange ones. Then they turned blue and I think they started being made mid 90's.

Just keep watching craigslist and ebay. I started using Google Chrome as my Internet program and opened a new tab for each city ie. watertown,Syr,Albany......... that way you dont have to keep clicking back and forth and pasting what your searching for in the search box. Also vwditech I beleive is the sellers name on ebay, sells a fair ammount of stoves on ebay. I almost bought the same unit I just got from him but I was a day late.

Do you know how to do an RSS feed? If so thats a really easy way to track new stuff on craigslist and ebay.

Have you tried CRAIGLOOK instead of opening a bunch of tabs in craigslist? YOu just put in your zip and what you are looking for and you can slide the search bar as far as a 275 mi radius.

Status
Not open for further replies.