Puffin smoke

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rangerbait

Feeling the Heat
Dec 17, 2016
Shepherdstown, WV
Gents,

Cleaned out the firebox this evening and lit the first fire from a cold start in probably two weeks. Since today was a slow and low burn, there was some creosote burn smell as the fire climbed to cat-active range. As I was standing there waiting to engage the cat, I noticed a few puffs coming from the interface between the stove pipe and the ceiling box adapter. Doesn't seem normal to me, but then again these connections aren't entirely air tight to begin with.

6d18d876105e73daed3cac482f1ca6c4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Check the cap screen.

Ditto. Sounds like its worth a look. Bit early in the season for it to be plugged? Unless using questionable moisture content fuel.

It was...I have a whole house humidifier that calls the blower from the air handler...that was running at the time.
your set up is perfect for a oak connection, through the stove floor and strait down.

It was...I have a whole house humidifier that calls the blower from the air handler...that was running at the time.

Possibly your stove is like mine when cold starting. Seems to argue with the forced air system if I forget to turn it off. Smoke wants to stay IN the house! I've done it twice. Window gets cracked open quickly. I run to the thermostat and slide it to off. Problem fixed.

I know I'm not right in the head . . . but the title of this thread made me think of this.

Attachments

• puffin.jpg
    puffin.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 322
Reactions: saydinli
I think this is double wall but doesn’t look like duravent. This post makes me appreciate the very good seal at the ceiling box provided by duravent.

Still, common belief is that if there is any heat in the flue that it should suck in at all leaks. I believe this is true but the strength of that suck can be overcome quite easily in our well sealed homes by a competing suction elsewhere in the home.

Once you install the outside combustion air feed you will eliminate this competition for draft unless the loading door is open.

Reactions: Rangerbait
I think this is double wall but doesn’t look like duravent. This post makes me appreciate the very good seal at the ceiling box provided by duravent.

Still, common belief is that if there is any heat in the flue that it should suck in at all leaks. I believe this is true but the strength of that suck can be overcome quite easily in our well sealed homes by a competing suction elsewhere in the home.

Once you install the outside combustion air feed you will eliminate this competition for draft unless the loading door is open.

The pipe is all Champion/Ventis, and the ceiling box is part of the same line I believe. I don't believe Blaze King offers an outside air kit for the King model.

I thought it looked like ventis if the right parts are used it fits as well if not better than duravent. The fact is none of them seal and if there is a problem smoke will come out

Reactions: rdust and Highbeam
The pipe is all Champion/Ventis, and the ceiling box is part of the same line I believe. I don't believe Blaze King offers an outside air kit for the King model.
Have you tried opening a window or door near the stove to see if the problem goes away? If so it is a negative pressure problem

Bk offers an oak for the king. Even bkvp installed one on his king.