Quadrafire Isle Royale installed!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trilifter7

Feeling the Heat
Oct 19, 2012
Beavercreek Ohio
Took advantage of the nice day we had saterday before the storm and installed the new stove! Not many pics of during but nothing exciting, just rolled it in on a dolly and lifted it off the crate. Got the new double wall pipe in and 3 screws in every joint and seam. Smoked up the house pretty good on the first two small fires burnt the oil off the griddle. Pretty happy overall and everything looks fairly clean. Still waiting on the warming shelves, They should be in on Monday.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Looks great!

Reactions: Trilifter7
My dealer has this stove installed in the showroom with warming shelves but she has never had a fire in it. Without the warming shelves I think the stove looks naked:eek: It also needs to come in more colors than black or the porcelain brown, not really sure what its called, but you can never go wrong with plain black

Thanks guys! Yea I agree with you lopiliberty, it def looks better with the warming shelves. I'll add the pics in here when I put them on.

That's a beautiful stove and Hearth...

Congrats and enjoy the heat. Looking forward to your thoughts on the Quad over the VC.

I'll keep you posted as I use it but its not a very good comparison bc my resolute was an older pre EPA stove. Plus the VC was a 2 cu ft box where the IR has a 3 cu ft box. So far I can say the IR def belts out some heat! Had it up to 600 earlier tonight from some oak pallets I cut up. Going to have to be careful with that stuff!

Looks looks a nice straight install. I'm glad you got it now so you can try it out while it's still cold.​

Now thats a nice looking set up

Looks looks a nice straight install. I'm glad you got it now so you can try it out while it's still cold.​

Yea that's one reason I'm actually glad this weather is still around! Lol

Beautiful looking stove. My wife and I love ours, so I'm sure you'll be very happy with it. I would like to see it with the warming shelves as well

Congrats. We love ours! Great stove and throws a lot of heat. Enjoy.

I think that is one of the sexiest stoves on the market, but I might be a little biased.;)

Be warned about maintenance issues. This year is the second time that I had to tap the pin back down on a door hinge. Twice in 11 years. Something to keep an eye on.:p

Reactions: Don Williams
Be warned about maintenance issues. This year is the second time that I had to tap the pin back down on a door hinge. Twice in 11 years. Something to keep an eye on.:p

Haha, yea I will def keep an eye on that.

Love that classic, it's one of my favorite stoves. Enjoy that big boy's radiant heat.

Love that classic, it's one of my favorite stoves. Enjoy that big boy's radiant heat.

Thanks BG, I already am. There's still a slight learning curve from how the old smoke dragon ran but I'm getting the hang of it.

Just curious what you guys consider normal operating temps? So far it's been running up to 600 with a fairly small load of maybe 3-4 small to medium size splits. I've been closing the startup air supply shortly after the load gets going and turning the primary air all the way down once the stove top gets to around 400. Also, I put my condar temp gauge on the top of the stove just behind the griddle lid, is this a good place to measure temps on the stove top? I'm getting the hang of it, just wondering what you guys have found works best.

Most folks report that this stove likes to cruise around 600-700F with a few reporting even higher norms. It is a willing heater.

Most folks report that this stove likes to cruise around 600-700F with a few reporting even higher norms. It is a willing heater.

I run mine 550 to 650 most of the time. Some weird looking gnarly oak this morning jumped up to 700 but then settled back down to 650. For the thermometer, I put mine on the griddle--a little left of center. There's quite a bit of variation on the stovetop for temps. I think behind the griddle may run pretty cool, especially off to the sides, but I'll run my Infra red thermometer on it if I remember for this evening's fire.

I don't start shutting the air down until 500-550, but every chimney setup is a little different for control.

Northwinds is darn near emulating my operation. Oh - and get used to 650F. This thing ain't no sissy soap stone.>>

Thanks BG and Northwinds! I just loaded it a little over half full so we'll see. I shut the air down when the center of the griddle red 400 with my IR gun. My temp gauge is right on top between the flue and the griddle. It was at about 325 when the griddle red 400 so it does seem to be a little cooler there. I might move it after I play around with it for a few. It def belts the heat Jags!
image.jpg image.jpg

Well if I was going by griddle top temp my IR gun shows 825!! Where The temp gauge is reads 700 and my IR gun confirmed this. I checked the doors, ash pan and griddle gaskets and they all seem good and tight. I doubt I have excessive draft, not sure why it is getting so high. My only thought right now is a flue damper?

Status
Not open for further replies.