Quadrafire Isle Royale installed!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks great. The Isle Royale is a beautiful stove. My friend, who happens to be another member on the forum, has one in porcelain white. It's beautiful, and throws some heat.

Here's the fire pic

image.jpg

I burned a load last night of just wood and no pallet pieces and it burned much better! Temps peaked at about 600 and maintained 500 a lot longer. I think the pallet pieces were the culprit of the high temps.

Reactions: Jags
Just curious how long of a chimney you guys with the IR have? Mine is 15' and it def drafts well. I'm considering adding a damper to slow the burn down a bit. What do you guys think?

I am about 18 ft total and it will suck the lazyboy out from in front of my TV.

I have also thought about a damper, but then remind myself that I haven't had a brush down the throat of this thing in 4 years. That counts for something.

I have always said that the IR is one of the easiest breathing stoves on the market.

Yea good point Jags, a damper would def have an affect on creosote build up in the chimney.

The Isle Royale is an easy breather compared to many of its EPA brethren.

I have around 15 feet of chimney and have never felt like I had inadequate draft.

My thinking is not that I have too little but that I might have too much draft. I know draft is a good thing, especially with an easy breather, but I don't want to decrease my burn times too much bc of it. I'm just wondering if I could slow it down a little with a damper... And to jags point not cause creosote problems while doing it. I know this stove puts out a ton of heat so I guess if I can get anything over 8 hours of good heat I would be happy. Just wanting to optimize the ability of this massive stove.

Woke up this morning to coals that wouldn't fit into two 5 pound coffee cans. 8 hours isn't hard to do. 8 hours with a stove top of 450-500...now that is hard to do.

Hopefully I can get 8 hours above 300. Seems like from my small burns so far that won't be a problem.

I did have one issue with this stove that the dealer is taking care of. Every time I would rotate my top burners vertical the fireboard baffle would slide down about an inch or two below the top plate. Then when I'd rotate it up it would hit and push the small back baffle up allowing a gap between the two baffles. I had to reach down in with the burners vertical again and push the baffle piece back up in to place to get it to close right. This was not fun when the stove and burners were hot!!! I told my dealer about it so he came out and took pics to send to Quadrafire. After looking at it we concluded the problem was the welds on each end of the bars that the burners go into. The welds were pretty sloppy and over filled which caused the top plate to not be able to bolt flush to it. Since the top piece was raised off the burner rails that left the gap allowing the fireboard baffle to slide around. After seeing the pics Quad approved the replacement and ordered me a new top piece and burner assembly to be replaced under warranty. Glad I decided to install this now instead of waiting until next season! Also good to know I have a dealer willing to help me out and work with me. Should have the new pieces installed in a few weeks.image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Agreed. The Lopi at camp is a much nicer looking device. Will be burning that all day Saturday at camp. Me likes to watch the flames through never-been-sooted-up glass and have a wee bit o' whisky!

Status
Not open for further replies.