question for the people up north

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good point, Chris. He did ask about what the best way to insulate it was. I guess my "best way" often involves being cheap, lol. I shouldn't try to push my cheapness and general tendency to cut corners! ha!

As wall insulation goes, do it now and do it right. Fiberglass is the worst preforming insulation in real world applications. Blown/chopped glass is better but dollar for dollar cellulose (treated with borate-helps control rodents and bugs) is your best bet for air sealing and resistance to heat transfer. Dense pack will add about a day ov labor but last time I checked here it was less than half the cost of glass batts. Adding "energy heal" trusses will give you room for full depth insulation around the perimeter of the building too.

Sips may be overkill but they do go up quickly a crew of four can handle 12' panels easily and 16' with a little work. Some companies make panels up to 24'x8' with the windows pre cut that makes a 30x36 in 10 panels. You could be done standing the walls by lunch the day after your floor is down.

The log deal sounds great if the price is right. Keep posting this is fun.

Garett

G-rott said:
As wall insulation goes, do it now and do it right. Fiberglass is the worst preforming insulation in real world applications. Blown/chopped glass is better but dollar for dollar cellulose (treated with borate-helps control rodents and bugs) is your best bet for air sealing and resistance to heat transfer. Dense pack will add about a day ov labor but last time I checked here it was less than half the cost of glass batts. Adding "energy heal" trusses will give you room for full depth insulation around the perimeter of the building too.

Sips may be overkill but they do go up quickly a crew of four can handle 12' panels easily and 16' with a little work. Some companies make panels up to 24'x8' with the windows pre cut that makes a 30x36 in 10 panels. You could be done standing the walls by lunch the day after your floor is down.

The log deal sounds great if the price is right. Keep posting this is fun.

Garett

" We don't see a lot of different insulation materials in residential building around here. The most common is fiberglass but there are some others out there. I'm not too familiar with them. I've been on commercial jobs where the spray foam was used and I understand it is superior to other products on the market. The only two types I've personally installed are fiberglass and mineral wool. Of the two the mineral wool is often used more when a higher fire and sound blocking is needed. We often use the mineral wool to stuff under corrugated decking for fire proofing wall tops also. I'm not to familiar with the pre fab panels but I understand you guys up there use these a lot. I've always been interested in how they work. Great post!"

Status
Not open for further replies.