Questions on Kuma Sequoia Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jstmakeup

Dec 24, 2017
California
Hi, My Kuma Sequoia insert was installed a few days ago and I am having a few issues and was hoping someone could help. First off, we have been filling the insert with avocado wood almost 3 times a day!! I was under the impression that this stove has a 10 hour burn time, so not sure if this is ok? Next, the glass is BLACK - you cannot see through it at all. And also wanted to know how much smoke should be coming out of the chimney - we have white smoke, even with all dampers closed.

We will light the fire in the morning and wait till the catalyst is glowing, then close the top damper. Wait another 15-20 min and close the lower damper. Is this the proper way to use this stove? To be honest, we had a vermont casting stove from the 80s in here prior to this and burned LESS wood with that. Very confused and any help is appreciated. Thank you and Happy Holidays!

Hi, My Kuma Sequoia insert was installed a few days ago and I am having a few issues and was hoping someone could help. First off, we have been filling the insert with avocado wood almost 3 times a day!! I was under the impression that this stove has a 10 hour burn time, so not sure if this is ok? Next, the glass is BLACK - you cannot see through it at all. And also wanted to know how much smoke should be coming out of the chimney - we have white smoke, even with all dampers closed.

We will light the fire in the morning and wait till the catalyst is glowing, then close the top damper. Wait another 15-20 min and close the lower damper. Is this the proper way to use this stove? To be honest, we had a vermont casting stove from the 80s in here prior to this and burned LESS wood with that. Very confused and any help is appreciated. Thank you and Happy Holidays!
I'm certainly no expert here...but if you're getting black glass and white smoke out of the chimney, I would wonder if the wood is dry enough? Have you checked the moisture content of the wood with a moisture reader? Your wood should be below 20% moisture content for a clean, hot, burn with absolutely no smoke visible from the chimney. Anyway, that would be my first thought, but there are plenty of experts on this site who can assist you.

We will light the fire in the morning and wait till the catalyst is glowing, then close the top damper. Wait another 15-20 min and close the lower damper. Is this the proper way to use this stove

not to sound like a smart@$$ but have you read the manual? it should give a guide on operations.