Rangeley Vs Progress Vs NC-30

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 27, 2009
Connecticut
I'm looking for a stove that has the best convection between the 3. This is for have a 1700 Sq not very well insulated top floor. I spend about 800 gallons of oil heating the space. ( More because the pipes go through a long basement)

NC-30 is inexpensive but it has a much larger firebox and will probably be the least efficient. A pain in the shoulder season. $1000

Progress is the most expensive and will be the the most efficient. But - Soapstone can crack easier than cast iron. $2500 ( including shipping)

Rangeley is in the middle - Cast iron & Jotul quality. Top loading feature is a lot safer/ easier. $1950

What is your recommendation?

Although the Woodstock is a so called radiant stove you still get natural convection along with radiant heat. The other two stoves won't give any more convection unless they have a blower to help it along. The fire box size of all 3 are about the same, the NC 30 fire box isn't 3.5 below the baffle, more like 2.7. All 3 should do the job well. I like the top loading feature of the Jotul but the new Woodstock would sure be tempting at the current sale price.

Jotul Rockland - CT said:
I'm looking for a stove that has the best convection between the 3. This is for have a 1700 Sq not very well insulated top floor. I spend about 800 gallons of oil heating the space. ( More because the pipes go through a long basement)

NC-30 is inexpensive but it has a much larger firebox and will probably be the least efficient. A pain in the shoulder season. $1000

Progress is the most expensive and will be the the most efficient. But - Soapstone can crack easier than cast iron. $2500 ( including shipping)

Rangeley is in the middle - Cast iron & Jotul quality. Top loading feature is a lot safer/ easier. $1950

What is your recommendation?

I'm not so sure the NC30 is the least efficient. And I also think the Rangley has the smaller firebox of the three based on previous measurements from someone here. I would bet you would get the same burn time on the NC30 as you would on the Rangley.

Clarification, both the Rangeley and 30NC are steel stoves. The Rangeley has the option of a cast iron jacket. The same as the difference between a Pacific Energy Summit and an Alderlea T6. The 30NC is a very efficient stove and will burn fine with a half load of wood in shoulder seasons. Add a fan to either steel stove and they are going to convect very well. I fail to see how top loading is safer, but some find it more convenient. It also adds to the complexity of the stove.

How well the Progress will work is unknown at this point. There are many other stove options. For example you could install a Buck, Kuma or BK catalytic stove there to have the best of both worlds. Sealing up leaks and insulation would have the best payback and would help keep the area more comfortable year round. Also, if the long runs of pipe are not insulated, that should be a priority fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.