Rate the best woodstoves?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pizzaman said:
Newbie here. I've done a lot of reading on the board, and think I'm a bit smarter than I was when I started. I see a lot of people commenting on the Englander being a good stove. I'm curious how the experts here would compare it to a Hearthstone in terms of quality. I'm being told by a local dealer that my cost for a Hearthstone insert is over $2K. It looks like a similar Englander could be less than $1000. Is the Hearthstone twice as good?
I've had neither, but from everything I've read here I'd say not twice as good. People love their Englanders and their Hearthstones. I always think as you move up the scale of development you get diminished financial returns but nonetheless I'd rank Hearthstone higher than Englanders all things considered. If you just want good reliable heat, I think Englander is one of the best values on the market.

Great responses, guys. Burning Chunk mentioned that cast iron is in between steel and soapstone. I'm having trouble finding a cast iron piece in the $1500 area that gets good reviews. I think I'd probably rather spend the $2K on a Hearthstone (assuming I don't go Englander), if I can't find a well-rated insert in the $1500 range. Any suggestions for cast iron that I haven't discovered yet?

most interesting to see what folks consider good, bad and great stoves

Ahhh what the hell. Its gotta be my stove. Its 8 degrees outside, and 78 throughout the house.
Gotta love it!

Attachments

• DSC02724l.jpg
    DSC02724l.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 602
Probably the Isle Royale. It's got the best looks, with its 3.0 CF firebox it heats equivalent to most of the really big stoves, Loads from the front or top, and has an ash pan. The only possible enhancements it could have are a cat or soapstone. The fireview WOULD fit in second place with its cat and soapstone, plus the fact that it's got pretty classic styling, but they have NO idea where to put a door on a wood stove. It's just nonsensical.

Even with all the ripoffs, they just can't seem to make another stove that looks as good as the IR. Double doors adds a LOT to aesthetics, and no one wants to make them.

Bruce W. said:
BrotherBart said:
The best wood stove is any wood stove I happen to own.

"The real question is when you get your wood stove hot, does it return the favor."

What if you owned all the stoves?

Well I have four so I am getting there. :coolsmirk:

Five if you count the new Jotul gas stove still in the crate in storage. :lol:

AP, what kind of burn times you get out of your American Standard? ;-)

I don't like to brag, but with a Kohler unit and a steady diet of bratwurst/cabbage, we have no trouble
achieving overnight burns. Not sure if this thread is headed for the assh can or It's a Gas.

karri0n said:
AP, what kind of burn times you get out of your American Standard? ;-)

Do you think the ash removal is the best feature on it?

I'm not sure if my quad 5700 is the best out there, but I would say... it's built like a Mack Truck. I also think it's hotter than a red Porsche. On the serious side, it really does put out a ridiculous amount of heat.

I might get booted out for this one but I would want one that looked like Pamela Anderson. Poke some wood in her and get her real hot. House would be warm all night. Wait, forgot about the $3000 limit.

I'm sorry just couldn't resist.

Status
Not open for further replies.