Re-Burning Wood Coals?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I use them in the grill
I use them 'as' the grill! lol But this doesn't work too well during the summer!

Historically, i don't have enough 'charcoal' left in the cold firebox to worry about. But with the price of store-bought charcoal, I'm thinking of taking some steps to change that - then store up a couple bags of 'natural' coals for the summer season!

IMG_4589.JPG

I use them 'as' the grill! lol But this doesn't work too well during the summer!

Historically, i don't have enough 'charcoal' left in the cold firebox to worry about. But with the price of store-bought charcoal, I'm thinking of taking some steps to change that - then store up a couple bags of 'natural' coals for the summer season!

View attachment 296077

I use an old Weber kettle as a patio fire pit. Before the evening ends, I burn down some some firewood to the point it starts to fall apart, and I put the lid on to snuff it out. I save it and mix it with store bought lump charcoal about half and half, and it works great for grilling and smoking.