RE: Question about wood sheds in The Wood Shed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firefighterjake

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
Unity/Bangor, Maine
I'm going to be building a woodshed in the next few weeks . . . starting this weekend. Since this shed will be up on blocks it will have an actual wood stringer floor with planking over that . . . with spaces to allow air flow vs. a gravel base, concrete floor or pallet floor.

My question . . . this shed will be 12 x 20 and I should be stacking the wood 5-6 feet high max . . . what size stringers (2 x 6, 2 x 8, 2 x 10) should I use to bear up the weight and at what spacing interval?

The answer of course depends on how many supporting blocks you have under them, what size, and what spacing the blocks are.

There will be a lot of weight on those floor joists, I would think that one support in the middle minimum, I would use two supports if it were me. The other question is what planking are you using 2X or 5/4 ? and what space between joists, 12, 16, or 24 inches. These all make the decision different. I would do no more than 16 in and use two center supports because I would never want to open it up and fix it afterward.
just my 2cents :)

I would think it would be much less expensive to use more supports (pier blocks, prolly) than to use larger framing.

Peace,

- Sequoia

Status
Not open for further replies.