Rebuild Advice Needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JSS88

Sep 1, 2021
Kansas
We had a severe bat infestation in the chimney of our home. We had to have the chimney front taken down to thoroughly clean. When it was taken down it revealed a poor renovation from previous owners.

Looking for suggestions on how to frame this out. It will either be converted to a gas fireplace or we are thinking of using an ethanol insert as wood burning it is not up to code.

I have ideas on what I would like the finished product to look like but I'm not sure if it is possible.

20210901_084953.jpg
20210901_085026.jpg
20210901_085020.jpg
above are the current pictures of our fireplace

IMG_20210619_190751_651.jpg
this was what our fireplace looked like prior to bats
Screenshot_20210827-122326_Pinterest.jpg
wishful thinking of finished project

You won't be framing it out. It needs to be built out of masonry including a proper hearth extension slab poured.

You won't be framing it out. It needs to be built out of masonry including a proper hearth extension slab poured.
I know it would be reccomended to do as as a DIY but if that was our only option would the remaining brick pieces need to be removed before adding new masonry so that the starting surface if flat? Or is there another way to get around the past demo?

I have had ethanol burners in my fireplace before. They are ok for a let’s say 20-25 fire hours a year. More than that it’s kinda expensive. (Really expensive right now).
Regal Flame Prime Ventless Bio Ethanol Fireplace Fuel - 12 Quarts Amazon product ASIN B06XRPTHWP
If you have propane or NG that’s where I would lean.

I think you have to pick what you are installing so you know what the requirements are. But it’s a masonry fireplace that doesn’t meet code. Does installing a gas log or gas insert bring it up to code? I’m guessing not.

What needs addressed to bring it up to wood burning code other than what we see missing ( hearth extension and clearance to combustibles)? I think important information that’s needed to make good decisions moving forward.

Evan

I know it would be reccomended to do as as a DIY but if that was our only option would the remaining brick pieces need to be removed before adding new masonry so that the starting surface if flat? Or is there another way to get around the past demo?
It would certainly be easier if it were all flat but not nessecary. It really all depends upon your masonry skills