Recycle Combustor?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JSeery

Feeling the Heat
Feb 12, 2015
Irvington, NY
I just replaced my catalyst and was about to throw out the old one. It is cracked, crumbling, falling apart. Before I throw it out, I wanted to see if anyone ever recycles these things. Technically, I think they do have a number of precious metals in them (such as Palladium), but my guess is this isn't worth it. I know people do recycle catalytic converters from cars, so wasn't sure if this is similar. Any thoughts?

I just replaced my catalyst and was about to throw out the old one. It is cracked, crumbling, falling apart. Before I throw it out, I wanted to see if anyone ever recycles these things. Technically, I think they do have a number of precious metals in them (such as Palladium), but my guess is this isn't worth it. I know people do recycle catalytic converters from cars, so wasn't sure if this is similar. Any thoughts?
I'm going to start taking them to the local "Tox-Away Day" and see if they'll 'em. Or research may turn up other options...