replacing a 30 year old LOPI wood burning stove - but need some info first

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
reconditioning isn't something i had considered, I would hate to just 'dump it' in a landfill so even if i got a new one i may keep it in the basement mancave for atmosphere.
Condition wise, Its got some light rusting on the 'roof', but the firebricks are all good, the door glass is not scratched but the brass around the door is tarnished so i would want a new door probably, and a new trim piece, also needs sanding and a paint job (I had painted the top about 10 years ago for similar rusting or paint bubbling reasons) i have attached a couple pics.
So far this is under $50 for paint, brass polish, and maybe a new door gasket if needed. Stove Brite Satin Black looks great on these old Lopis. Does it have burn tubes in it and if so, how do they look? Any sagging or cracking?

jp4120

Dec 30, 2020
southeast PA
no there are no burn tubes - just grey fire bricks- there is a small crack on one of the bricks on the bottom right but nothing loose so i will let that go......I guess i should contact lopi for an exact gasket fit or just buy generic and glue it on (i recall doing something like that 10 years back)

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
no there are no burn tubes - just grey fire bricks- there is a small crack on one of the bricks on the bottom right but nothing loose so i will let that go......I guess i should contact lopi for an exact gasket fit or just buy generic and glue it on (i recall doing something like that 10 years back)
Hmm, ok this sounds more like the predecessor to the Answer. I forget the model number It's not the most efficient stove. Fixed up it would still bring $3-400. I'd put that money toward a modern stove.

Moving this thread to the Classics.

jp4120

Dec 30, 2020
southeast PA
ok a bit of an update
we had our stove inspected and are hearing its not up to code - our liner doesn't go to the top of the chimney (it was installed 35 years ago) so it needs to be replaced before anyone will clean it (old school way of cleaning was to move the stove and now thats against code)
so....we are also probably guilty of deferring getting the chimney cleaned probably for4 to 5 years (not positive to be honest)

so estimates from a recommended local chimney repair company that also installs stoves is
- $2200 for new stainless steel liner, insulation , cleaning the terra cotta flu, installing a new regency i1500
-$3200 for the regency i1500 itself

to be safe we won't use the existing stove till liner is replaced because there is a possibility we deferred maintenance too long.

Any thoughts on the regency i1500 are welcome....its pricey but its peak burning season plus covid has jacked up prices a bit across the board. as you can see the regency has a faceplate that i guess eliminates the dirt/dust behind the stove.
( i have attached our current setup and the pic of the regency from the brochure.)

Attachments

avsmusic1

Jul 26, 2012
CT
Is the 1500 the only one that'll fit? Just the only one that particular company sells that'll fit?

I don't have my finger on the pulse of regency prices so please take this with a grain of salt, but that seems pricey for that stove (small and not particularly ornate)

mellow

Resident Stove Connoisseur
Jan 19, 2008
Salisbury, MD

bholler

Chimney sweep
Staff member
Jan 14, 2014
central pa
3200 is way high for a 1500

Reactions: begreen

jp4120

Dec 30, 2020
southeast PA
now i am thinking probably better to get the liner replaced and get everything up to code - clean up the current Lopi and defer replacing it..the confusion over the cat converters and all the back and forth between manufacturers will take a while to sort out....this way i can use it soon and not worry about safety......maybe its better to just keep my old Lopi for now.

Reactions: NickW

jp4120

Dec 30, 2020
southeast PA
any opinions on getting a wood stove with a catalytic converter or not?
I am thinking its a wearable part thats not worth it for a stove that gets used about 50 times a year but wanted an unbiased opinion.

also i had posted items about the regency 1500 for $3200 - i am going to wait and get another opinion - in mid feb i have an appt for an inspection with a chimney cleaning / stove install company handles multiple manufacturers not just Regency.

also any thoughts about just having an occasional fire until then? i don't want to be too risky but the last cleaning was probably 3 or 4 cords ago maybe 5 years.