restacked the stacked stacks.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ecocavalier02

Minister of Fire
Dec 12, 2008
ct
Well i finally finished restacking bout 6 cord that i put right in my way. then stacked about another 3 that i had split. reason for the moving was cause im trying to start a little business here and i put wood right in the way before i decided that i would start selling it. but i got it all moved and now i can work on getting more. im a little tight on room but i think i can fit about 30 cord or more to the right of my stacks now. im wondering if stacking close to 6 feet high would be bad im going to stack it all tight so i think itd be pretty stable. i just cant heap it up i dont like the look of it in my back yard. so id like to make it look somewhat neat plus i dont mind stacking. through a pic in of the truck after i got done dumping a load of yard trash. love the way it looks lol.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 719
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 727
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 762
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 705
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 721
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 733
Looks Awesome Bobby! Wow thats a lot of work there...

it definanty was a lot of work i like stacking but not restacking. lol. happy its done. now i can work i wood i want to sell.

How many cords you looking at selling a year?

im hoping i can do 20 or 30 and then sell some green just to get it out of here and then save like 20 cord or so to sell seasoned. taking it slow and will see what happens.

ecocavalier02 said:
im hoping i can do 20 or 30 and then sell some green just to get it out of here and then save like 20 cord or so to sell seasoned. taking it slow and will see what happens.

Lol Thats not taking it slow! Thats some serious work!

smokinjay said:
ecocavalier02 said:

lol well thats what im hoping for for this year and i wont be mad if i dont make my goal its ambitious but will see how it goes.

ecocavalier02 said:
smokinjay said:
ecocavalier02 said:

lol well thats what im hoping for for this year and i wont be mad if i dont make my goal its ambitious but will see how it goes.
Do you have the trees to support it? Nice gravel area in small piles is much quicker and let it catch over flow. Come back to stacking later.

Where in Ct are you eco?

I'm in Bristol. By espn.

30 cord of 6' stacks wood make some nice dominoes.

If I needed some & came & saw your set up,
I'd by. Professional looking, neat.
Good job
Do you deliver too?

bogydave said:
If I needed some & came & saw your set up,
I'd by. Professional looking, neat.
Good job
Do you deliver too?
Yep that's why I bought the dumP trailer. But alaskas a haul lol. That'll cost ya lol

SolarAndWood said:
ha ya that'd suck.

ecocavalier02 said:
SolarAndWood said:
ha ya that'd suck.

ya, I thought my 4 face cord lines was bad. Nice setup you have. Good Luck.

Stacking the wood 6' high can be a challenge but it can be done, especially if you only have it stacked for a year or less. Just be very careful stacking and you'll make it. Stack it tight and stack the knotty stuff together. I'll stack one with a knot to the back side of the pile and then another with the knot to the forward side and then no more knots there until that is covered. It seems if you stack a lot of knotty stuff right together you seem to get a weak spot in the stack.

I hope this pans out for you. Good luck.

Wow that looks like alot of work. I have to get more organized with my woodstacking this year which is going to require me to restack about 6 cords and it puts me in a bad mood just thinking about it. O well it will be better once I get control of my stacks. Now if our Monsoon season would let up for a bit I could get something done.

Love that dump trailer!

certified106 said:
Wow that looks like alot of work. I have to get more organized with my woodstacking this year which is going to require me to restack about 6 cords and it puts me in a bad mood just thinking about it. O well it will be better once I get control of my stacks. Now if our Monsoon season would let up for a bit I could get something done.
i know the feeling. everytime i was like aw man i gotta move that and stack it again! it does suck but once its done with you'll feel real good. lol

Backwoods Savage said:
Stacking the wood 6' high can be a challenge but it can be done, especially if you only have it stacked for a year or less. Just be very careful stacking and you'll make it. Stack it tight and stack the knotty stuff together. I'll stack one with a knot to the back side of the pile and then another with the knot to the forward side and then no more knots there until that is covered. It seems if you stack a lot of knotty stuff right together you seem to get a weak spot in the stack.

I hope this pans out for you. Good luck.
That is what i was thinking. it shouldnt be stacked for more than a year and will be stacked nice n tight. i know what you mean about stacking the knotty pieces back to back. thats how i do it now.

. Now if our Monsoon season would let up for a bit I could get something done.

Monsoon?? I'll pray fervently that some of that rain would come down here to Texas. We are in the midst of our 4th worse drought in recorded history with no expectations of relief until we might get a tropical system of some sort in late summer.

The main firewood supplier around here also uses a dumping trailer, although significantly bigger than yours, I believe his holds about 2 1/2 cord. Firewood delivery is his staple, but by no means the only thing he delivers with his trailer. He uses the trailer to haul all kinds of things from vehicles to manure and landscaping materials. He doesn't even have to deal with processing the firewood, he gets cut off ends from a mill dumped into his trailer and simply dumps it at his customer's house, he never handles the wood himself.

I mention this because you might want to think about other uses for your handy little trailer. There is always a market for small scale delivery haul services where cost for larger dump trucks would be prohibitive for small loads, not to mention there are lots of places you could back a small trailer like that into where you could never get a larger truck into. Landscaping materials in someone's back yard is a typical example.

I've looked at firewood business and I just don't see how a person could do more than scrape a meager wage out of it, especially when you consider all the work involved if you are doing all the processing and stacking and loading and delivery. The local guy here does OK, but as I said, he never touches the wood, he just hauls it and dumps it, and even then if he didn't haul other stuff with his trailer he wouldn't have a viable business.

Diversify :)

I laugh at re-stacking because I did that to a 3.5 cord stack this winter, I wanted better ventilation as the stacks were 3 sticks wide. This worked out good and the stacks started to dry really nice. Then this past week my "friend" called and said to get all my wood off his property... No warning, no explanation, no discussion, just get it out! So I brought it all home and re-stacked it again. I guess I did move and re-stack 6 cords, sort of. :gulp:

I have a friend that sells firewood on the side. he has a elevater that he puts by the spliter with a 4 way wedge. the elevater puts the wood in his dump trailer without having to lift the wood so high and carry it. It
works pretty nice for him.

woodsmaster said:
I have a friend that sells firewood on the side. he has a elevater that he puts by the spliter with a 4 way wedge. the elevater puts the wood in his dump trailer without having to lift the wood so high and carry it. It
works pretty nice for him.

That kinda of stuff is where the difference is made when selling. If you did that and dump in one trailer piles and sold it that way, a small guy has a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.