Richmond® 50 Gallon Electric Water Heater with Hybrid Heat Pump any good?

brenndatomu Posted By brenndatomu, Jul 13, 2019 at 10:19 AM

1. brenndatomu

brenndatomu
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 21, 2013
    Loc:
    NE Ohio
    Thinking about replacing my 50 gallon electric WH with one of these units, been looking at these for a while now...mine is working fine, but is of an unknown age...probably at least 25 YO. I usually run em 'til they blow, but with the sale right now, they don't get any cheaper than this, I'm sure if I wait until mine dies that this will not be on sale, especially one this good.
    I guess I could buy it and let it sit in the garage until needed, but then the warranty is ticking away too...decisions decisions...advice, input? Sale ends tonight.
    An additional bonus would be possibly not needing to run the dehumidifier in the basement anymore...ugh...sometimes its tough being a tightwad ;lol
    I think these units are made by Rheem...same as their HPWH...rebadged to sell at BB stores?
    https://www.menards.com/main/plumbing/water-heaters/heat-pump-water-heaters/richmond-reg-50-gallon-electric-water-heater-with-hybrid-heat-pump/10e50-hp4d/p-1499409305671-c-8688.htm?tid=8956776417898725648&ipos=1

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Highbeam

Highbeam
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 28, 2006
    Loc:
    Mt. Rainier Foothills, WA
    I wouldn’t replace a functional appliance because of that deal. When I click on your link it says 1156$ for a 50 gallon water heater.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. brenndatomu

brenndatomu
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 21, 2013
    Loc:
    NE Ohio
    $935 after sale and rebate...

4. EatenByLimestone

EatenByLimestone
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 12, 2006
    Loc:
    Schenectady, NY
    Your old one may last another 10 years. I'd wait.

5. brenndatomu

brenndatomu
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 21, 2013
    Loc:
    NE Ohio
    Well, went for it...not going to install it right away, too busy with other stuff to stop and replace something that doesn't really need replaced right now. Will burn a little warranty this way but oh well, it has 2 yr full, 10 yr parts, and for $70 extra, a full 12 years parts/labor including 1 free replacement if it can't be repaired.

6. maple1

maple1
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 15, 2011
    Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    Does your state have any incentives?

SpaceBus likes this.
  7. brenndatomu

brenndatomu
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 21, 2013
    Loc:
    NE Ohio
    Yes, some places, but not our specific utility company...

8. PaulOinMA

PaulOinMA
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Oct 20, 2018
    Loc:
    MA
    This Old House recently did a heat pump water heater. Pretty neat!

brenndatomu likes this.