Richmond® 50 Gallon Electric Water Heater with Hybrid Heat Pump any good?

brenndatomu

Minister of Fire
Aug 21, 2013
NE Ohio
Thinking about replacing my 50 gallon electric WH with one of these units, been looking at these for a while now...mine is working fine, but is of an unknown age...probably at least 25 YO. I usually run em 'til they blow, but with the sale right now, they don't get any cheaper than this, I'm sure if I wait until mine dies that this will not be on sale, especially one this good.
I guess I could buy it and let it sit in the garage until needed, but then the warranty is ticking away too...decisions decisions...advice, input? Sale ends tonight.
An additional bonus would be possibly not needing to run the dehumidifier in the basement anymore...ugh...sometimes its tough being a tightwad ;lol
I think these units are made by Rheem...same as their HPWH...rebadged to sell at BB stores?
https://www.menards.com/main/plumbing/water-heaters/heat-pump-water-heaters/richmond-reg-50-gallon-electric-water-heater-with-hybrid-heat-pump/10e50-hp4d/p-1499409305671-c-8688.htm?tid=8956776417898725648&ipos=1

Highbeam

Minister of Fire
Dec 28, 2006
Mt. Rainier Foothills, WA
I wouldn’t replace a functional appliance because of that deal. When I click on your link it says 1156$ for a 50 gallon water heater.

EatenByLimestone

Minister of Fire
Jul 12, 2006
Schenectady, NY
Your old one may last another 10 years. I'd wait.

brenndatomu

Minister of Fire
Aug 21, 2013
NE Ohio
Well, went for it...not going to install it right away, too busy with other stuff to stop and replace something that doesn't really need replaced right now. Will burn a little warranty this way but oh well, it has 2 yr full, 10 yr parts, and for $70 extra, a full 12 years parts/labor including 1 free replacement if it can't be repaired.

brenndatomu

Minister of Fire
Aug 21, 2013
NE Ohio

PaulOinMA

Feeling the Heat
Oct 20, 2018
MA
This Old House recently did a heat pump water heater. Pretty neat!

Reactions: brenndatomu

sloeffle

Minister of Fire
Mar 1, 2012
Central Ohio
I know I'm a little late to reply.

Converting my electric hot water heater to a HPHW paid for itself after 1.5 years. That savings doesn't count the costs of not having to run a dehumidifier too. We save around $50 a month just in making hot water. We got ours a few years ago so I'm money ahead already. IMHO - I'd rip the old water heater out and out put the new one in as soon as you can.

Last edited:
Reactions: brenndatomu

Seasoned Oak

Minister of Fire
Oct 17, 2008
Eastern Central PA
Well, went for it...not going to install it right away, too busy with other stuff to stop and replace something that doesn't really need replaced right now. Will burn a little warranty this way but oh well, it has 2 yr full, 10 yr parts, and for $70 extra, a full 12 years parts/labor including 1 free replacement if it can't be repaired.
As long as you already have it every month you wait is costing you $ . Id swap it out and drain and keep the old one for a backup or sell it.

brenndatomu

Minister of Fire
Aug 21, 2013
NE Ohio
As long as you already have it every month you wait is costing you $ . Id swap it out and drain and keep the old one for a backup or sell it.
I'm just too busy with "summer" projects right now...gonna be a winter project...

brenndatomu

Minister of Fire
Aug 21, 2013
NE Ohio
Ha - I've got unfinished winter projects around here, from like 15 winters ago.
;lol Well I have a few "long term" projects that need finished too, (anybody need a 1996 GMC K3500 4x4 dump truck...some assembly required? ==c) but this one is in my way in the garage right now, so it will be installed as soon as I get the chance...