Ripping Gives Finer Sawdust

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WarmGuy

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 30, 2006
Far Northern Calif. Coast
I had a few impossible-to-split pieces of wood, such as Y shaped logs, so I used my chainsaw to cut them. At one point I noticed that instead of little wood chips, it was throwing out finer saw dust. I thought "Wow, that chain got dull fast." and sharpened it, and then realized that that's what you get when you're ripping rather than cross-cutting.

Anyone else notice this?

Same applies to dimension lumber. When ripped it produces a much finer sawdust then when cross cut.

Then you can get the shredded cheese effect when cutting along the grain. Makes a huge pile of cheese.

Special chains are available for ripping. I imagine they are mandatory for those who want to create lumber from logs with a chainsaw.

Status
Not open for further replies.