Season 14

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
I tackled the sweeping today. It's been 3 yrs. I got 2 quarts of soot and sote which surprised me a bit. I was expecting under a quart. This may be because I tried out the DVL damper last season. It fits the flue collar too loosely and I think it was adding air to the pipe. It's out now so we'll see. The only work the stove has had done on it up to this point has been a door gasket. I knew that the baffle side insulation was breaking down and torn and some firebricks in the back were cracked from me slamming in long splits too hard. I will try to do better.

After sweeping, I removed and replaced the ratty baffle side insulation pieces. I used a generic, 1.5" ceramic wool from Lynn Mfg for this. We'll see how it does. I then replaced 3 rear firebricks with new pumice bricks. The side bricks are getting spalled and I think I may swap them for the floor bricks next year. The floor bricks look really good. Keeping an inch of ash on them seems to help protect them well. My 6 or 7? yr old homemade Hogwildz special baffle gasket was bunching up and broke apart so I pulled it. I will make a new one.

I wrapped it up before dark. That's all the bending my knees were going to take. I still want to remove the blower and clean it. I will do that soon when I make the new baffle gasket. We only use the blower when it's very cold out so no hurry there. The old gal is ready to burn and still looks good going on 14.

IMG_3088.jpg

I pulled the blower out of the Stratford II today. It's been awfully rattly. Lots of drywall dust in it. Cleaned it up and will put it in tomorrow before lighting up tomorrow night. Hopefully will be much quieter.