Selkirk DSP and Vermont Castings Compatibility

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

milesmoony

Dec 8, 2019
Olympic Peninsula
Hi, I’m trying to install my new Vermont Castings Aspen C3 wood stove. It’s replacing a stove, so I’d like to use the same stove pipe and chimney system I have in place already. Problem is, is it seems the stove is not compatible with any of the selkirk dsp components. The telescoping double wall pipe doesn’t fit over the flue collar and the stove adapter is a terrible fit. With the stove adapter the outer layer of pipe had about a finger with all the way around between it and the flue collar. Additionally the crimped section inside doesn’t contact the collar and sits awkwardly on the tabs inside the collar. The holes pre drilled in the adapter also in no way line up with the holes drilled in the flue collar. I tried working the telescoping pipe section over the flue collar and there’s no way. The dealer I bought the stove from sells duravent and says it has no issue connecting to the stove. He also says duravent is overall much easier to work with and easily compatible with today’s stoves. Of course the problem is I already have the Selkirk metalbestos chimney system fully installed and have read it is not compatible with duravent. Any suggestions from installers out there?

What is the exact ID of the stove's flue collar?
Additionally the crimped section inside doesn’t contact the collar and sits awkwardly on the tabs inside the collar.
Is this referring to how the DSP pipe fits? If so, then can the inner liner be notched to clear the tabs and let the pipe sit lower?

ID is 6 1/8”, OD is 6 1/2
What is the exact ID of the stove's flue collar?

Is this referring to how the DSP pipe fits? If so, then can the inner liner be notched to clear the tabs and let the pipe sit lower?
Yes, it is referring to how the dsp fits. On the stove adapter the crimped part on the end that connects to the stove is 5 1/2 and the outer part is 7”.

I was considering notching the crimped part so the whole thing drops lower but I’m not sure how much it would improve the fit..

What is the ID of the stove's flue collar?

Sorry, I missed that. Another option is to patiently hammer out the inner crimping so that it doesn't pucker in as much.

Reactions: RAD418