Severe Weather Threat For 2020

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
I'm sure this will change but it looks like we might see more ice this weekend, hopefully we don't receive much. AccuWeather has us getting an inch of ice but that usually drops each day before the threat hits.

1578414258394.png

Hate to say it, but I'm ready for some snow. Ice, not so much. Had a couple measurable snow falls, but they melted right away. So far this winter has been more like a really long early spring.

Reactions: thewoodlands
The forecast for northern new Hampshire is warm and heavy rain followed by icing. I expect what there is of the snow pack will take a pretty big hit. They just ran a groomer over the trail that runs by my house last night. I don't think it will be usable by sunday as the rain tends to flood the wet spots. Not a great year to be in the snowmobile rental business.

Just some rain forecast for west of Boston. I was going to wash my car today. Forecast is 60s on Saturday, so I'll wash it then instead.

The forecast for northern new Hampshire is warm and heavy rain followed by icing. I expect what there is of the snow pack will take a pretty big hit. They just ran a groomer over the trail that runs by my house last night. I don't think it will be usable by sunday as the rain tends to flood the wet spots. Not a great year to be in the snowmobile rental business.
It seems that our area the last 2 or 3 years, the snowmobile season is February and maybe two weeks in March.

This morning AccuWeather has us getting 0.65 of ice this weekend, hopefully that amount drops even more.

Local weather station has light rain starting tomorro evening with high in the sixties. Heavy rain and tornado threat.....3 inches here......friday into saturday morning....then turning to snow/ice mix. They arent sure until thursday when it hits pacific coast on snow totals for sure but calling for around 3 inches. I wish it would all be snow. Seems like anymore all the snow is just barely north of here along I-70.

That weather system you will be seeing tomorrow night @Grizzerbear will be hitting me Friday night. Too early for them to tell what we will get. Wishing for snow also.

Local weather station has light rain starting tomorro evening with high in the sixties. Heavy rain and tornado threat.....3 inches here......friday into saturday morning....then turning to snow/ice mix. They arent sure until thursday when it hits pacific coast on snow totals for sure but calling for around 3 inches. I wish it would all be snow. Seems like anymore all the snow is just barely north of here along I-70.
I cant't like that, stay safe.

AccuWeather has us getting 1.16 inches of ice starting late Saturday and Sunday.

Reactions: Grizzerbear
That weather system you will be seeing tomorrow night @Grizzerbear will be hitting me Friday night. Too early for them to tell what we will get. Wishing for snow also.

Well hopefully we will both get some snow and no ice or tornadoes. We havent had a snow over 3-4 inches since 2011 when we got 20 inches. When i was a kid we got 8 inch snows pretty common.Sadly its getting hard to get any more than a dusting here in recent years.

After some warm spells, the chill is on here and it's going to get colder. Winter appears to finally be arriving. Looks like we are going to put a dent in the woodpile this January.

After some warm spells, the chill is on here and it's going to get colder. Winter appears to finally be arriving. Looks like we are going to put a dent in the woodpile this January.
We don't have any real cold temps in the forecast yet, we keep getting the moisture from the south without the cold so we're not getting much snow.

February and March can bring us some heavy wet snow with a chit load of snow, we'll see if February and the beginning of March are different this year.

Well they upped the rain amounts. Suppose to get right under 5 inches from tonight to saturday morning. Then a tenth of an inch of ice and 1-3 inches of snow. Its super windy here today with 40 mph gusts and a high of 60.

I need one of those dislike buttons! Wonder what sound it makes when you push it...

We have an Areal Flood Watch for this area starting Saturday evening through Sunday evening, we're in for 1-2 inches of rain plus the runoff from the snow.

We're also in for an inch of ice from the forecast I just looked at, tomorrow I'll get some bars and chains on some saws.

First round came through last night. Freezing rain. Reeked havoc on my pines.

We are on the very southern edge of all this nastiness. We watched some pretty impressive thunderheads move across to the northeast last night. Lots of lightening. We were on the edge of one storm and got some much needed rain and some small hail. I’ve seen much worse, but it was still a bizarre experience to hear it pounding down in the dark in January.

How did you fare, @Grizzerbear?

We jumped from 41 this morning to 55 today with some rain, at the moment they forecast ice coming in around 3 a.m. but have dropped our ice accumulation from 0.71 this morning to 0.59.

Ice is the worst, hoping you don't get any
Potsdam is forecast to get 0.86 of ice, we're in for 0.59 but the ice forecast for our area has been dropping since this mornings forecast.

The wife did make cinnamon buns and chili yesterday and today it's cheese soup. Tomorrow is my turn, shrimp marinara with pasta.

@thewoodlands You never have any trouble eating well!
I won't die hungry. During the ice storm of 1998, in my old hometown we were only without power for 9 hours total, but up here some people on our road didn't have power for 3-4 weeks. We just wanted a certain amount of food cooked before the possible ice storm hit.

The state made the power company upgrade the poles since some hadn't been changed in 30 years. Since we moved here over 16 years ago, the power company has done a much better job with keeping trees away from the power lines, this year it was Nelson Boone Company that did that job.