Severe Weather Threat For 2020

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
The next system coming in our area.

.WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 1 PM SATURDAY TO 4 PM
EST SUNDAY...

* WHAT...Snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 3 to 7 inches
with locally higher amounts across the Adirondack and Green
Mountains.

* WHERE...All of northern and central Vermont and northern New
York.

* WHEN...From 1 PM Saturday to 4 PM EST Sunday.

* IMPACTS...Travel could be very difficult. Areas of blowing snow
may be possible during the day on Sunday.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Snowfall may be locally heavy at times,
especially between 4 PM Saturday and 1 AM Sunday. At times,
snowfall rates may exceed 1 inch per hour in the heaviest bands.

Reactions: Grizzerbear
It is just starting here. 1/2" already on ground.

Check St Johns Newfound Land Canada
Fell sorry for them
Strong winds
70 to 80 cm of snow by tomorrow
That's just 32 inches of blowing snow
2nd big storm this week

Man you guys are makin me sick with all your snow. I'm jealous lol. It's been 33 degrees here for hours just pissin rain. What kind of luck is that. I'm dying for snow_g.

Reactions: Gearhead660
Getting some snow today. I've seen forecasts of 1-3, 3-5, 3-6. So, looks like we'll just get a few inches.

Going to move firewood into the hoop in the garage today since I brought the wood on it into the house last night. Will split some wood with a maul a couple of times today, too. I cut two fingers on my left hand 30 years ago, and the tips are very sensitive to the cold now. The fingertips get very cold even with glove liners under my work gloves. Can only stay outside about a half hour with light gloves when the temperature is in the teens. Mittens are fine. Ski gloves are o.k., sort of.

We are supposed to be getting snow from the big system moving across the NE starting at about 3:00. Then going to change to rain before a temp drop later in the week. I hope the rain washes it all out and doesn't leave us with a frozen mess.

Last week this time it was 68 and sunny in SE Mass, today 15d.

Reactions: thewoodlands
Ended up with 3-5 inches, then some freezing rain. Now its above freezing so the snow is wet and heavy. Kids loving it. Got all the snow cleared before the near 0* air comes in later this evening.

Another system coming in from the west, we'll see how much this forecast changes in the days to come.
1579628591755.png

Woke up to several inches of heavy wet snow. Does look beautiful on the trees....

Attachments

• 20200125_071724.jpg
    20200125_071724.jpg
    310.2 KB · Views: 145
Woke up to several inches of heavy wet snow. Does look beautiful on the trees....
I don't think we'll get much from this system but another system should be heading out of the Gulf which might hit the east coast at the beginning of February.

1 1/2 " - 2" of rain coming our way starting in about an hour or so. 45F outside right now, lows of 35F tonight. I'll take it.

Let the PE go cold, cleaned the boost baffle, cleaned out the stove, dumped the ash can, etc. Everything is top covered, aside from the 6 pines I had taken out last week ;)

We ended up with 3 inches of wet heavy snow yesterday and it all but melted off today with highs getting to 40. Needless to say its a muddy mess here after around 5 inches of rain last weekend and this snow on top of it.

Accu has us getting 0.53 inches of ice late Thursday night, we'll see what the forecast is on Wednesday.

We did buy another five bags of sand (60 lbs per bag) after the last freezing drizzle so we should be set, that will give us ten bags along with pellet & wood ash for the driveway.

We just dropped 20º from 2 days ago. It'll be heading east next.

Reactions: thewoodlands
Old Phil said it will be an early spring, I'm pretty sure he said the same last year and we had a cold spring that lasted a very long time........you better wait.

Did you guys get hit with all that rain the last couple of days? We had a local state of emergency declared with all the flooding a main highway closed.

Yes, mostly north of us. Lots of flooding. We did ok, but everyone's ponds are overflowing and several ponds showed up where there were none before!

Reactions: AlbergSteve
NOAA is calling for 12 inches of snow from this system coming in but hardly any ice, Accu is still saying 1/4 inch of ice with the snow.

With the new four inches of snow in the driveway after I was done plowing, we've received 14 inches of snow with it still snowing.

It wasn't the heavy snow so that was nice.

Screenshot_2020-02-14-08-05-53.png
This is the winter we have been having this year. Like a yo yo but much warmer in general. No minus 30 stints that we typically have. Today is actually the coldest day thus far -14 this morning.. No Frost in the ground at all. Very unusual.