Severe Weather Threat For 2020

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
We've had heavy rain with lightning and thunder, the last lightning and thunder we had shook the house like I never felt before.

Reactions: woodey
We've had heavy rain with lightning and thunder, the last lightning and thunder we had shook the house like I never felt before.
It missed us, all sun here. My parents live in Pierrepont, looking at the radar it looks like they got pounded too.

It missed us, all sun here. My parents live in Pierrepont, looking at the radar it looks like they got pounded too.
They had a warning on that the storm was coming near Higley Flow State Park and heading north so any wind or hail missed us. The heavy rain we needed so that was nice.

I'm not seeing any power outages in the surrounding area, the suns out and the temp dropped from 91 to 69 after the storm moved through.

This is from Syracuse.com for tomorrow, the percentage for damaging storms is low but we'll see if anyone gets hit.

The strong rains we had the other day didn't hit north of here (37 miles) the ground was cracking it was so dry where I planted the flowers so I watered them.

1590679206884.png1590679225721.png

Last edited:
Had a front come through last night with some strong winds. Had a cottonwood that started to split at a crotch over the winter and was on my list of things to do. Well mother nature took care of it for me. Minimal damage to surrounding trees. Couldnt have done it better myself.

Reactions: thewoodlands
Had a front come through last night with some strong winds. Had a cottonwood that started to split at a crotch over the winter and was on my list of things to do. Well mother nature took care of it for me. Minimal damage to surrounding trees. Couldnt have done it better myself.
It's always nice when mother nature helps out with a job like that.

Reactions: Gearhead660
We might be in for some chitty weather tomorrow, the last time we had bad weather forecast for our area, it went south of us by 10 miles.

1591728455627.png

That system just went through our area yesterday afternoon/last night. Remnant of the tropical storm. Very muggy and windy. Luckily, only damage was a branch on the pear tree.

That system just went through our area yesterday afternoon/last night. Remnant of the tropical storm. Very muggy and windy. Luckily, only damage was a branch on the pear tree.
It's very muggy here today, we have a slight chance of damaging winds later this afternoon and tonight.

Hopefully we get the rain from this, we don't need the wind but we do have some widowmakers that mother nature made that if she finished the job, I would be a happy camper.

I think for us this will be in the afternoon or night but you can check your areas.
1592866083079.png

Got hit hard yesterday afternoon. Trees and hydro wires down
A paint ballpark was destroyed by a Microburst .
Calling for it again (storms) today

Got hit hard yesterday afternoon. Trees and hydro wires down
A paint ballpark was destroyed by a Microburst .
Calling for it again (storms) today
Can't like that, I did see that some of the storms yesterday hit well east of us, we'll see what we get this afternoon or tonight.

I'm not sure where the rain/storms hit but we didn't get chit for rain, hopefully Saturday we get what they're forecasting which is about half an inch of rain.

I'm not sure where the rain/storms hit but we didn't get chit for rain, hopefully Saturday we get what they're forecasting which is about half an inch of rain.
Looking at the radar last nite the heavy thunder showers stayed just to the west of us and the rain coming towards us petered out as it got closer to the county line.

Looking at the radar last nite the heavy thunder showers stayed just to the west of us and the rain coming towards us petered out as it got closer to the county line.
I talk with a guy from Kingston Ontario, on radar last night it looked like they would get some heavy rain but they never received chit.

I do like the cooler weather.

Reactions: mcdougy and woodey
All storms missed my place as well....we were really looking for some rain but missed out. Around here they were very small cells and some people got the rain and others didn't.
Hoping for the Saturday rain as well.

All storms missed my place as well....we were really looking for some rain but missed out. Around here they were very small cells and some people got the rain and others didn't.
Hoping for the Saturday rain as well.
For Saturday AccuWeather is calling for half an inch of rain, that usually drops everyday but our local guy called for a all day soaker, he works for wwny-tv out of Watertown NY which is south of here by 1:30 hours.

For Saturday AccuWeather is calling for half an inch of rain, that usually drops everyday but our local guy called for a all day soaker, he works for wwny-tv out of Watertown NY which is south of here by 1:30 hours.
Now it looks as if the heavier rain is going to stay to the south of us.

Now it looks as if the heavier rain is going to stay to the south of us.
I just heard most if the day will be dry, hardly any rain in the forecast.

Yes, and other relatives. That is where my family came from in the very northern Westchester area downstate.
How is the recovery going in that area?

We got a bit of rain last night, not as much as wanted, but it sure is better than nothing. The corn fields were starting to spike, but this rain has resolved that. Might get lucky and get another shower today.