Severe Weather Threat For 2020

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Can do without the winds but need some rain as most of it the last week has gone around us. I have measured less than 1/2" in the last week with storms all around us. I got the generator out today and let it run for a little while but doubt i will need it.
We don't have any warnings for our area yet, how about you?

@tlc1976 , it's always nice when you get missed but the rain you need. I've never seen it this dry in our area since we moved here almost 17 years ago.

Reactions: woodey
Went through here about an hour ago (Storm Warning still on )
lighting heavy rain for about 20 min. then a nice steady rain for an hour
watered everything. Power went out twice for short times. No wind no damage
Nice to get the rain

@tlc1976 , it's always nice when you get missed but the rain you need. I've never seen it this dry in our area since we moved here almost 17 years ago.
No warnings here , was watching the radar as the storm had a lot of yellow and red coming our way but as soon as it neared the St. Lawrence it petered out, been doing that a lot this summer.

Over in Northern NH we are right on the edge of drought classification, the rest of the state is in one. I got a good sustained soaking last week which should carry my area for few more weeks with the prediction of more rain showers this week.

Reactions: thewoodlands
No warnings here , was watching the radar as the storm had a lot of yellow and red coming our way but as soon as it neared the St. Lawrence it petered out, been doing that a lot this summer.
We have a special weather statement for our area, it's getting dark out and the lights have flickered about four times.

The heavy rains with the big guy bowling has moved in.

I figured you might get hit with it, It was dark to the S.E of me and I could hear some thunder.
I think the worst of it hit just south of us, the heavy rains helped out some but we really just need a three day soaker.

5 mins of big wind with the front today then a decent rain for about an hour. Some trees in the vicinity downed but nothing major thankfully.
We have gotten a few rains but could still use more. The crops are hanging in , and the grass looks like it might take off again with the precipitation we have gotten in the last 10 days or so.

Oh we have been getting the rain and thunder too. It was just the damaging winds that missed my place. And I’m good with that.

It was getting pretty dry but 2018 was drier at least at my place.

While it might be a little premature to say this, I'm slightly more concerned about the tropics in the east coast this year, the Pacific has been strangely quiet, while the Atlantic has had a few storms pop up (normal for now) but usually when the pacific is quiet, the Atlantic heats up, we'll see come mid August.

Last edited:
We were in the red zone last night but we didn't get much rain at all. I've never seen it this dry in our 16 plus years of living here, usually August is a real dry month but hopefully not this year.

We were in the red zone last night but we didn't get much rain at all. I've never seen it this dry in our 16 plus years of living here, usually August is a real dry month but hopefully not this year.
If August is a dry month I might have to walk my lawn down to the Grasse River to take baths.

We are getting just enough rain, last night about 1.5"...here it's the heat and humidity that's over the top and not typical. I'm sure we must be breaking a record for the hottest summer in many many years. We have been warmer then Florida in general

We are getting just enough rain, last night about 1.5"...here it's the heat and humidity that's over the top and not typical. I'm sure we must be breaking a record for the hottest summer in many many years. We have been warmer then Florida in general
Send some of that rain this way, we'll see what the rest of this week brings for weather.

We finally received some good rain overnight and more today, it's suppose to get in the 80's today with a cold front moving in this afternoon or night which gives us a chance for severe weather.
1596380399480.png

Last edited:
We needed more rain today but all that went north of us, hopefully the system coming up the east coast will give us more.

We have been getting good rain again this summer but not like last summer when we broke the record for annual precipitation on the 1st of October already. We got 8" from storms last weekend, see photo below. I live in the sticks and the town crews for many towns up here say the have been busy putting in bigger or multiple culverts and raising roads to handle all the rain we get now.

CB69A021-7EDA-44DB-A77A-3767AE337B07.jpeg

Well it looks like my feelings on the Atlantic were correct, expecting the tropical storm to hit the whole state south to north on Tuesday, preliminary widespread impacts include heavy rain in the range of 4-6" with higher amounts possible north and west of the actual low center (aka NW NJ) wind gusts between 40-60mph, highest towards the coastal plain, with thunderstorm gusts of up to 70mph, the obvious coastal flooding / beach erosion.
I do expect large power outages / disruptions, its been very hot and dry here for the past month, so once the heavy rains come in the soil will loosen up and weaken tree roots, thankfully though the storm speed is expected to pick up, so the worst weather in the NYC metro area will be between 2pm and 11pm.

That’s a good downpour, 4" in a hour! Our water didn’t recede since our ground is saturated again this year so the town dumped gravel on our cross street in a number of places.
EF8E86D4-2A6E-448A-BA17-213A0ED320B5.jpeg

We finally got our first real thunderstorms the last 2 nights, and by the looks of things it might be the only for the year. It seems every year in Northern Alberta we get less thunderstorms. Yet southern Alberta gets pummeled harder every year. This June they had the worst hailstorm in Canadian history, $1.2 billion in damages.

1596512311474.png1596512332839.png1596512361334.png1596512498657.png

House insurance is becoming extremely expensive here, 6 of Canada's 10 costliest disasters have happened here in Alberta.