Severe Weather Threat For 2020

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
When we first moved here almost 17 years ago, we received a chit load more snow, didn't have enough room for snow storage but that problem has been taking care of.
I need a winter like my first winter in this current house 10 years ago, we had so much snow here, literally shoveled the roof off 3 times that winter, same as you, ran out of storage space, had 5ft piles next to the walkway. Ever since I got the kioti with snow pusher we havent had a storm with more then 10" kind of a bummer because I really want to see what I can do with 2ft of the white stuff.

Reactions: thewoodlands
I need a winter like my first winter in this current house 10 years ago, we had so much snow here, literally shoveled the roof off 3 times that winter, same as you, ran out of storage space, had 5ft piles next to the walkway. Ever since I got the kioti with snow pusher we havent had a storm with more then 10" kind of a bummer because I really want to see what I can do with 2ft of the white stuff.
Since we've had the Mahindra 4540 with a plow, we seem to get one or two storms per winter that dump close to 24 inches on us. The 4540 walks through it without any problems, no chains.

The only problem is we get a big snowfall and a week later it's 50 out. ==c

Sounds like the winter of 2013-2014 here.

I see that the Weather Channel said we might have damaging winds tomorrow, they say we'll have a high of 66 and a low of 35. We'll see soon enough what that 31 degree drop will bring.

• Wow
Reactions: begreen and woodey
Looking at a few long range weather models and it sure looks like a cold blast is heading towards the northeast and mid-atlantic during the last week of October, Some of the models runs indicate some lake effect snow starting up in upstate NY and PA, with flurries / snow showers from a smaller storm in NE PA, NWNJ, and north of NYC, that means colder temps regardless of snow.

Yes, we here on the left coast are suddenly getting a bit of a chill, but the center of the country has a big Canadian high dropping down that covers all of the midwest. It will be making its way eastward soon. Button up.

Yes, we here on the left coast are suddenly getting a bit of a chill, but the center of the country has a big Canadian high dropping down that covers all of the midwest. It will be making its way eastward soon. Button up.
We had 77 today with more rain last night, we'll take some cooler weather.

It’s been in the 40s for a long time and tons of rain. Tonight it’s supposed to turn to snow and snow forecast every day next week.

We've been in the -10's C all week (mid teens F), we got a few inches of snow last week, and it looks like it'll be here for winter now, might see the grass again about mid April. On Monday there were huge flocks of geese headed south, which solidified my assumption that winter is here early and for good.

On the upside we've had a beautiful fall, this is the first year in a long time where the farmers were done early and don't have swaths buried under the snow.

La Nina they say, so hopefully a tough winter in Montana! There's been a lot of activity around here since people suddenly got tired of the city life this spring! A lot of the newcomers want to know how cold it gets here. Well, this year, the last snowfall was June 30, a little early, as we usually have measurable snow sometime in July, and the first snowfall of this winter was August 30 - also a little early by about a week. One to two feet and subzero nights for this weekend.

There's kind of a pattern where coastal folks come around for a summer or two, then a for-sale sign appears and you don't see them again. The saying goes, "Thank God for winter, or this place would be crowded too."

1604107679716.png
The heavier snow bands, known as snow squalls, can cause sudden reductions in visibility and a quick, slippery covering of snow on the roadways. These travel hazards will be most likely to occur downwind of the Great Lakes and may impact stretches of interstates 75, 81 and 90.

Last edited by a moderator:
The big part is over me. So far this fall is starting out like 2013, which was the hardest winter we had in a long time.

The big part is over me. So far this fall is starting out like 2013, which was the hardest winter we had in a long time.
So far our forecast has 1-3 inches but with the warmer weather coming in, even a foot of snow wouldn't last.

1604274412310.png
Hopefully our winds are only around 40.

Our winds were up to 58 mph today. Tree across the road about 1/4 mile away and probably many more.

They have us getting 1-2 inches of rain with some pretty good winds and then some possible snow. The rain should get rid of the ice from the Brook. Who else is in for this weather, we don't have that much snow but some received between 24-41 inches.
1608597552854.png1608597580327.png

We have another system coming in on Friday from this report, snow and ice for us, how about your area?
1609182838116.png

Reactions: Gearhead660
We have another system coming in on Friday from this report, snow and ice for us, how about your area?
View attachment 270547
The weather man was makin big talk yesterday that we could see a significant snow storm from this system but....as has been the case the last 10 years or so...he is already back peddling on his amounts. It's lookin like it will be ever so slightly too warm and we will end up with a 2-3" rain. I'm hopin the low strays a lil further south and we get some of the white stuff. They aren't positive on the exact track of the low and we only get so many chances of snow every winter so I'm crossin my fingers.

AccuWeather is calling for 0.40 of an inch of ice for our area on Friday night, the amount of ice forecast today for Friday usually drops each day......hopefully.

The backhoe comes off the 4540 tomorrow which will make room for the 3 point sander if needed.

Finally getting our first big storm of the season tonight. Started around 4:30pm. Still going and got 5-6 inches so far. Plow on the truck, sitting in the garage ready for the morning.

Finally getting our first big storm of the season tonight. Started around 4:30pm. Still going and got 5-6 inches so far. Plow on the truck, sitting in the garage ready for the morning.
They have us down to 0.12 of an inch of ice on Friday night with some snow but not much.

Will take a foot of snow over ice any day.
That's fore sure. We were lucky during the ice storm of 1998, we only lost power for a total of nine hours. We lived in a village with municipal power and we were on the same electrical loop that our hospital was on so they serviced that loop first.

The area we live today had people on this street out of power for a month. New York State made the power company up here put in new poles since a chit load of them had never been changed.

The new supports for the KV line coming from the NYS Power Authority are a huge upgrade.

Reactions: Gearhead660