Show us yours! Wood shed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I feel like I can finally post in this thread.

Where do I start ? Location I recon I have this spot between one of my decks and my shop that is almost like a raised bed. It's less than three steps away from my shops driveway that makes delivering wood very easy and it's only a handful of steps away from the house.

This particular area is French drained and I am using colored/dyed semi truck tire chunks for ground cover and to aid in draining. Also I've got plant blocker black landscaping carpet on top of the dirt and under the ground cover so nothing will grow in this area.

This is how I started out with the area

IMAGE_13.jpg

Right from the get go my idea was to build a shed in this area but my free time was lacking.

Then I got some unanticipated motivation from a crazy rain storm that dropped four inches of rain in less than eight hours. (It's hard for me to show y'all this picture it's embarrassing but guess I learned from my mistake)

IMAGE_14.jpg

My stacks fell over and it was totally my fault. The stack closest to the deck I just placed the concrete blocks right on top of the rubber ground cover and that made it unstable and the large amount of rain sealed the deal.

So I cleared off all the wood and started over.

IMAGE_2.jpg

this is my first time building anything using wood and I used this forum for inspiration and ideas so thanks so much for posting up all the pictures.

The above is one of two floor bases that I built. The final product also has concrete blocks in the middle of both outer supports like the one pictured in the center. The floor sits about 10" off the ground for good airflow.

Measuring out the floor and figuring out where to place concrete blocks.

IMAGE_1.jpg

You can see the drain box in the lower portion of the above pic it's surrounded by rocks. The area that the wood shed sits on slopes to this box to help drainage.

Finished the floor and now onto the roof. In the below picture I am just mocking up the roof and trying out different ideas, nothing is set in stone at this point for the roof.

Last edited:
Reactions: raybonz
IMAGE_4.jpg

I was able to get the majority of the roof finished and started on one of the sides.

IMAGE_5.jpg

I added 2x4's to the the face of all the uprights that hold the roof for added stability maybe a bit of overkill but what the hell I ain't rebuilding this sucker or pricking up another fallen stack again. When stacking the wood inside the shed I plan on still cribbing the ends to avoid any pressure on the sides of the shed, so the wood slats on the sheds walls will not see any force and are pretty much just aesthetic.

The days are short and the darkness comes early
I brought out the shop lights to keep working
IMAGE_9.jpg

Here is a shot with me standing on the inside of the shed, and this is where I called it a day.

IMAGE_10.jpg

I have a little bit more work before it's compete and I will make sure to post pics of the final product.

This shed will only hold seasoned ready to burn wood however I still want good circulation. So I don't plan on slatting the back of the shed. There is about three feet between the back of the shed and my deck. this area of my property sees a lot of good wind that runs the distance of the shed. I will also be putting a gutter on the shed to direct the water off of this raised area.

Any and all feedback is welcome like I said this is my first attempt to build anything with wood

Thanks to all for your contributions to this thread.

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
I will also be putting a gutter on the shed to direct the water off of this raised area.

Rain running onto the deck was my only concern and you addressed it right there.

My gutter and downspout run into a 250gal plastic tank. I have a garden hose attached to it and run it down to the garden. Spring rains fill it up so I don't have to use the well when the dry summer months arrive.

Finally got done loading the shed and stacking new wood to season. Now it's just a weekly load from the shed to the covered entrance. Need to get off my butt and get the weekly load up on the deck because storm and cold is knocking on New England's door!

Douglas-20131207-00012.jpg
supply.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally got done loading the shed and stacking new wood to season. Now it's just a weekly load from the shed to the covered entrance. Need to get off my butt and get the weekly load up on the deck because storm and cold is knocking on New England's door!

View attachment 119800
View attachment 119801
Looks great! Nice looking stacks and great setup! ;)

Wow you guys have some awesome wood sheds and storage.
Here's my sad start lol
IMAG0096_zpsad589210.jpg

Actually, yours has given me an idea for a drying rack. Find mine it's mostly just pallets, 4x4 posts and 2x4 scraps.

They don't have to be as good as some of these (at least not as a starting point) there are a couple guys on here with sheds I envy, I however know I (we) don't intend to be here forever and I would prefer to wait for the acreage I want before I build a nice shed.

Might be a silly question, but being fairly new to burning and just having a couple stacks with tarps, can you use a wood shed for green wood to season? All of my stacks are currently on the edge of the woods on my property but it just looks messy..would like to make a shed over there to season the wood. I keep about 1/2 a cord under my deck that I bring over from the main stacks..thanks guys

Might be a silly question, but being fairly new to burning and just having a couple stacks with tarps, can you use a wood shed for green wood to season? All of my stacks are currently on the edge of the woods on my property but it just looks messy..would like to make a shed over there to season the wood. I keep about 1/2 a cord under my deck that I bring over from the main stacks..thanks guys
Wood requires airflow to season. So, if your shed is open on all sides and only 2 rows deep, the wood will season just fine. If your shed is closed on three sides and six rows deep, the wood at the back of the shed may never properly dry.

Wow, some seriously nice sheds here fellas. Looks like I got my work cut out for me. I was thinking on the smaller side, but now I think I need to build one that holds at least 8 cord :cool:

You're going thru 8 cords per year in a Hearthstone Manchester? I have two stoves going 24/7, and don't use that much wood.

No, not hardly. I just need a woodshed that will hold that much I think ;) I'm trying to get to the 3 yr ahead status. Right now I'm around 2 depending how much I burn with the new Manchester. I figure I've burned close to a cord by now. My rack on the deck holds 1/4 cord and I guess I filled it 5-6x now, but I only let it get half empty before I refill it

View attachment 74055View attachment 74056

Here's the early stages of my wood shelter. Just need to add in some supports on the sides and the roof. I have some SunTuff clear corrugated roofing on order, this way we still get some sunshine through the basement window there and avoid the dungeon effect.
My wood she'd is very similar to yours. I'll post a few pics of it later.

Reactions: csr44
I have only basic carpentry skills and I'm a big believer in keeping my wood/heating expenses to a minimum. I've always kept my stacks out on the edge of our woods. They get plenty of hot wind during our summers, plus afternoon sun, but the stacks are under trees and get really messy with leaves and other debris, which hold moisture and causes some minor rot. So...I'd like to build a shed that I can move seasoned wood into, leaving green wood out in the open for a couple of years.

I'd like to use materials that I have around the property. We just had our large home reroofed after a Springtime hail storm. The old, and new, roofs are metal.
I have a great deal of the old metal panels that I kept. The panels are all 20 feet long. I will, therefore, make the shed about 20 feet wide so I don't have to cut the panels to length. This will mean that the ribs of the metal panels will lie side to side, rather than front to back, so I will need to have a slight tilt to left or right for a bit of drainage. No big deal. I have enough of these 20 ft panels to make the shed 12x15 feet deep. That's much larger than what I need for firewood so it will give me storage space to get some of my tractor implements under cover.

I have several 12 foot 2x6 planks (treated). I have a dozen or so landscaping timbers that I could use for uprights but I'm thinking treated 4x4s might be better (and would have to be purcha$ed). I've got a bunch of about 4 inch diameter cedar poles that could be used for the supports for the roof. I also have around 80 or so 18 inch and 30 inch 2x4 pieces that were used for packaging the new roofing panels. I can use these 2x4 pieces to frame the roof, and maybe use them to frame the sides.

I'm a big fan of deck blocks, having built several decks using them. So, I'll probably go that route rather than pouring cement for the support beams, and will use pallets for the floor.

The space I have in mind is on the edge of the tree line behind our house. There is a large dead oak there that I want to take down anyway. To do that, I'll have to clear out a large area of scrub oak so that I can safely access the tree. That's going to leave a large, open space once I'm done. Why not put the shed there? Easy access. Will get lots of sun and strong westerly winds. And it will meet the Bride's rule of keeping the wood out of view from the house. I'll probably need to hang a tarp in the front, at least during burn season, since it will be facing west and could have a lot of rain blown in.

Shouldn't cost me much of anything, 'cept maybe for some 4x4 posts. It won't be as fancy as some in this thread but it should do the job with little expense.

What do you think?

After reading through 11 pages, I officially have 'shed envy'!
Like others, I'm just getting started on my "3 year plan" and I'm currently in the 'acquisition' stage. (read: I have wood stacked all over the place)
I have large rounds that were recently cut sitting in the back of my garage on skids, awaiting splitting.
I have a concrete patio outside with few Shelter brand wood racks from Menards to hold the split stuff that needs more curing. I used plastic snow sleds on top of the racked piles as a cover.
Then I have the 'wood shed' which is a lean-to off the side of the garage, much resembling a corn-crib. (my avatar) Not huge or exotic, but it was already there and it gets the job done. I'd guess it is around 25' x 6'.
I pimped it out by adding a strand of xmas lights in here so I can see at night when I restock the wood bin.
woodshed.jpg

woodshed2.jpg

After reading through 11 pages, I officially have 'shed envy'!
Like others, I'm just getting started on my "3 year plan" and I'm currently in the 'acquisition' stage. (read: I have wood stacked all over the place)
I have large rounds that were recently cut sitting in the back of my garage on skids, awaiting splitting.
I have a concrete patio outside with few Shelter brand wood racks from Menards to hold the split stuff that needs more curing. I used plastic snow sleds on top of the racked piles as a cover.
Then I have the 'wood shed' which is a lean-to off the side of the garage, much resembling a corn-crib. (my avatar) Not huge or exotic, but it was already there and it gets the job done. I'd guess it is around 25' x 6'.
I pimped it out by adding a strand of xmas lights in here so I can see at night when I restock the wood bin.
woodshed.jpg

woodshed2.jpg
Looks great to me!

Status
Not open for further replies.