Sirocco 30: Can I Burn With The Ash Channel Seal In Place?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chamel

Feb 3, 2013
MA
Hi everyone! I'm ready to break in my Sirocco as soon as cooler weather comes in (probably this weekend.) My only concern left is can I burn the stove with the ash channel seal in place? I can't seem to fine a definite answer to this. The stove came shipped with a metal bottom plate with four screws attached to a flat stationary metal plug. These are supposed to be removed if I wanted to use the ash dump system with the removable looped plug. I've had many problems in the past with ash dumps leaking air. I foresee me having to reseat the removable looped ash plug every time I hit it with a shovel by a mistake. Does anyone know if it's ok to burn with these in place? I assume they come with the stove for a reason. Just in case people have problems with the ash dump or decide they no longer want to use it? Or just to protect it in shipping?

Pictures:

Attachments

• DSC02427[1].JPG
    DSC02427[1].JPG
    119.7 KB · Views: 330
  • DSC02409[1].JPG
    DSC02409[1].JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 308
Mine didn't come with that, and I'm kinda jealous. Where's that bolted on plate, on the underside?

Ash seals around the plug, I haven't had any issues with air leaks. I've thought about cutting my loop off so I don't hit it when raking coals/ shoveling out the stove. Would be really nice if the ash pan worked without spilling ash everywhere.

Mine didn't come with that, and I'm kinda jealous. Where's that bolted on plate, on the underside?

Ash seals around the plug, I haven't had any issues with air leaks. I've thought about cutting my loop off so I don't hit it when raking coals/ shoveling out the stove. Would be really nice if the ash pan worked without spilling ash everywhere.

That's good that you haven't had any issues with air leaks. My last stove had a few issues with it. Yes, that plate is on the underside of the stove, where the ash would come out. Sorry, I should have flipped the photo 180 degrees. That stinks that yours didn't come with that option. It even shows it in the manual. Your Ashford should have come with it, unless they recently added it to the models. Did you install the ash dump yourself? If not, maybe the installers took the pieces with them when they installed the looped plug. I'm sure if you contact Blaze king they could give you a set. How is the your ash spilling everywhere? Does the ash dump not line up with the pan?

Attachments

• DSC02431[1].JPG
    DSC02431[1].JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 276
The Sirocco is the only stove that comes with the plate bolted in.

I'm sorry, but yes to what? I can still burn using the flat plug and the bottom plate?
Yes you can burn it like it is. The ashpan is optional on the sirocco with the legs. That's why it has a plate in place of the looped ash plug.

The Sirocco is the only stove that comes with the plate bolted in.
Sorry about that. Your right. For some reason I thought that the Ashford had the same ash pan kit as the Sirocco. I guess the best option would be to cut off the loop. They should at least offer a loopless one for the Ashford.

Yes you can burn it like it is. The ashpan is optional on the sirocco with the legs. That's why it has a plate in place of the looped ash plug.
Thanks for the clarification Webby. :)

How is the your ash spilling everywhere? Does the ash dump not line up with the pan?

The ash dump lines up with the back edge of the pan, so if you fill it any more than halfway it spills over the edge. I've given up on the ash pan this year, and have just been shoveling it out when it gets full.

I looked at a few stoves, a couple days ago when I was near the shops. I saw a couple of those looped plugs, and the openings were pretty small. My Buck 91 has a flip-up lid and the ash dump is like 3.x X 5.x, which allows me to get an L-shaped poker down into the pan to push the ash around to distribute it in the pan, so I can get the pan pretty full without it spilling over the sides.

I love the ashpan on my Ashford. I also preferred the smaller hole, it prevented all my big coals being lost into the pan.

I love the ashpan on my Ashford. I also preferred the smaller hole, it prevented all my big coals being lost into the pan.
Where is the ash dump located on the Ashford? On the Buck it's pretty far to one side so I use a shovel to skim the coals over to the other side, then scrape the ash down the dump.

Where is the ash dump located on the Ashford? On the Buck it's pretty far to one side so I use a shovel to skim the coals over to the other side, then scrape the ash down the dump.
Centered in the firebox...

Status
Not open for further replies.