Snow blower recomendations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have two snow blowers. A two stroke, single stage Toro which punches way above it's class and a 8 hp 26" Craftsman circa 1990 w/ a full gearbox (not a friction disk) transmission.

The Toro is my go to for anything up to and above about a foot and is especially good at throwing slush that the two stage just can't deal with w/o clogging up. The 2 stage will grind through most anything but wet snow gives it trouble, the slush tends to "puke" out as someone once said.

I have seen impeller mods that add rubber paddles to each impeller blade to improve all around performance. From my research these are pretty universally considered a major improvement by those that have done it. Throws snow farther, even wet stuff and all but eliminates clogging. Considering I have not really read or heard of anyone saying it doesn't work I ask; what is the down side and why wouldn't manufacturers equip their products with the paddles? Any thoughts?

The only negative with the paddle mod I have is noise. Hard to imagine as a snow blower isn't really known for being quiet to start with, but my paddle mod easily doubled the volume. Might be unique to my Toro... The plastic chute protrudes into the second stage chamber and the paddles hit. I could trim the paddles back, but that kinda defeats the purpose. So I deal with it. The improved performance with wet snow is worth it (neighbors may disagree though...).

I am on my second 521 TORO. I try to get about 15+ years of use before shopping new. Usually because I want the newer features; I don't think I could wear it out.

My first had small hard rubber tires that needed chains, and a stubby chute. My newest (10 yo) has the knobby tires with a taller metal chute. Good thrower! My next one will have "easy steering" and a taller mouth. This last storm dumped 24", and my opening is only 18" high! That gets annoying.

I like the "power to width" ratio. The 21" cut doesn't overcome the 5hp engine. And the girlfriend likes the small size and can maneuver it easily (bonus!!!)

My next one will likely be a 24" width and a 8hp engine, because they have the "easy trigger steering". I have used 24" with 5hp, or 28" with 8hp, but I've found those lacking the power when making full width cuts. They work fine, but you'll find yourself making half cuts and taking twice as long. My two cents.

I have an old roper 24" 2 stage that I modified and it will throw snow up on top of the barn roof. That thing is a tank.
Make sure you do the impeller mod to throw snow better regardless of what you get.

I have a beat up old ariens 24" that just wont die. I've overworked the daylights out of it and it just keeps on tickin. Even installed a clarence kit on it. Performance gain was amazing. http://www.snowblowerimpellerkit.com/

I have nothing to do with that company. just had good results with their product. first time i used the blower after the install, the town plow truck stopped and asked me WTH kind of snowblower is that thing? I have to watch out for throwing snow on to powerlines now.

I don't have any issues with my Toro throwing snow as far as I want, and when in a decent snowfall & taking a full cut, the 8hp B&S is pretty well pulling a full torque load at full throttle. So I don't think I'll persue the paddle mod thing, now anyway. Seems to do pretty good as-is. Not sure how much impeller clearance I have though, I might take a peek next time I'm around it.

Even installed a clarence kit on it. Performance gain was amazing. http://www.snowblowerimpellerkit.com/

I have nothing to do with that company. just had good results with their product.
I don't have any issues with my Toro throwing snow as far as I want, and when in a decent snowfall & taking a full cut, the 8hp B&S is pretty well pulling a full torque load at full throttle. So I don't think I'll persue the paddle mod thing, now anyway. Seems to do pretty good as-is. Not sure how much impeller clearance I have though, I might take a peek next time I'm around it.

Another thumbs up for the impeller mod from Dr. F and even if you decide not to bother, I'm guessing you found mostly good reviews for them as well maple1. So I'm still wondering why manufacturers don't put these on up front?

Seems to work well throwing wet, and/or low volume slush which most 2 stage machines don't excel at. Would give them an advantage in the market and would be a consumable for them to sell every few years.

My single stage with rubber paddles throws wet slush very very well and I'm still on the same paddles about 10 yrs later so it's not like they wouldn't be durable, I'm stumped. Issue with wedging sticks etc in there with no clearance to the impeller housing??

Another thumbs up for the impeller mod from Dr. F and even if you decide not to bother, I'm guessing you found mostly good reviews for them as well maple1. So I'm still wondering why manufacturers don't put these on up front?

Seems to work well throwing wet, and/or low volume slush which most 2 stage machines don't excel at. Would give them an advantage in the market and would be a consumable for them to sell every few years.

My single stage with rubber paddles throws wet slush very very well and I'm still on the same paddles about 10 yrs later so it's not like they wouldn't be durable, I'm stumped. Issue with wedging sticks etc in there with no clearance to the impeller housing??

I started out with a single stage ariens. i liked how it really cleaned right down to the pavement, and in light snows you can really go as fast as you can walk. What i didnt like was its performance in our occasional heavy 12+ inch snowfalls. This would mean doing the same job 2-3 times for one snowfall. After 8 years it still runs, but it is in need of a new paddle. i'll prob get around to it in the summer.

Much nicer is the 2 stage ariens, and i have a jd tractor with a plow on it, weights and chains. the plow is really great for light to medium snows, snowfalls where i couldnt get to it right away and it hardened, and the end of driveway stuff i can just plow across the road into the pond.

Status
Not open for further replies.