Speaking of bugs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NextEndeavor

Burning Hunk
Jan 16, 2011
Southern Iowa
Lots of wood ID going on here, how about a bug ID and fear factor explanation?
Found this not so little bugger in a chunk I was splitting to check for MC.

Attachments

• DSC05767ei.jpg
    DSC05767ei.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 533
  • DSC05762ei.jpg
    DSC05762ei.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 527
  • DSC05760ei.jpg
    DSC05760ei.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 533
  • DSC05764ei.jpg
    DSC05764ei.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 542
  • DSC05765ei.jpg
    DSC05765ei.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 536
Don'y know what it is, but those are some great pictures!

Looks to me like some crossed Alien-Predator variant. Kill with fire.

How'd you get him to smile?

That has to be some kind of hornet?? I love the pictures.

Mmmmm. Tastes like chicken.

Looks like my mother-in-law..

:cheese:

Ray

When I lived in WV & PA, we had a bumble bee that was a loner & lived & bored into wood.
Maybe that's it.
Very cool pics

raybonz said:

Ray
Same disposition too,'eh? :lol:

Thistle said:
raybonz said:

Ray
Same disposition too,'eh? :lol:

LOL yup honery! :) Actually my in-laws ~1500 miles away in Florida so we get along well...

Ray

I can believe carpenter bees. My very old shed a long way from the house has many of them living in there but I've never seen one in this stage of life. These great big black bumble bees intimidates the heck out of me. They just hover around the opening, daring me to enter but they don't seem to ever attack. Guess they've found my wood pile too but so far, only in the lighter colored wood such as ash. BTW, the old shed that's about ready to fall in will soon be replaced with one of those all metal types people use for carports ..... try to eat that, bees!

Ugh, I really dislike carpenter bees. I would watch them bore into my fascia board and lots of sawdust would rain out of the hole. The joke is on them though. I had the house torn down in May and the new one built in its place is due to be delivered at the end of the month. All of the siding and trim is Hardiplank.

Great pics . . . the ones with the bug on the tape measure kind of look like the prisoner mug shots . . . have the bug hold a little sign with his correct name and it would look just like a mug shot.

The antenna look too long for a carpenter bee to me and anyone with a carpenter bee problem need only pick up a bad-mitten or tennis racket, they are kinda fun with one of those in hand.

I forwarded this thread to my entomologist I work with at OKstate. His reply ...

Not a clue-pupa are almost impossible to ID to species, though it is a Longhorned Beetle (Cerambycidae) probably something in the subfamily Cerambycinae. There are three known ash pests:

Neoclytus acuminatus - Red-Headed Ash Borer http://bugguide.net/node/view/6769/bgimage
Saperda lateralis - Red-edged Saperda http://bugguide.net/node/view/3832/bgimage
Tylonotus bimaculatus - Ash and Privet Borer http://bugguide.net/node/view/23851/bgimage

Status
Not open for further replies.