Splitter advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ruggdoug

Feb 13, 2017
Washington
Hey all,

Looking to pick up a hydraulic splitter, wondering if anyone can give some advice on brands. Was checking out reviews of a 22-ton Champion and 25-ton Southland online, since both are available at a store near me. I will probably end up splitting about 10+ cords this year since my father can't do his own anymore (and I do a little for friends and family). We like around 20 inch logs in our furnace, of really anything we get from our property, birch, fir, pine. Here's the site I was looking at for reviews http://shedheads.net/best-log-splitter-hydraulic-log-splitter-reviews/

Does anyone have a Champion or Southland? Do you recommend it? Or what would you recommend instead?

Thanks in advance!

I love my DHT22.... it does up to 24" all day long.

Reactions: spawner
The 2 your looking at do not list the cycle time which is odd and concerning. I wood look into that more. The other splitter list the cycle time as 17 seconds which is super slow. Many on here have the DHT 22 ton splitter. They work really well and have solid reviews i have used different splitters and fined the DHT is a great splitter and thats what i went with.

I have the dht 22 ton also. Priced as low as 860 after tax if you catch a sale at Lowe's. The only problem I have is that all my wood is done for the next two years and my fiskars blade is developing a case of surface rust. Good luck

Reactions: VirginiaIron