Splitter Recomendation - Huskee/Speeco

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if you have a stick welder, I'd still want a little MIG for doing light stuff. The 120V machines (like the Millermatic 140 or Hobart Handler 140) are very useful for automotive body-work and light fabrication.

Agreed - and they are a gawd send when mocking stuff up. Pull trigger - zap - part stuck in place. Its the hot glue gun of steel.==c

Reactions: MasterMech
Agreed - and they are a gawd send when mocking stuff up. Pull trigger - zap - part stuck in place. Its the hot glue gun of steel.==c
I use the little MM140 at work to tack up parts before hittin' 'em with the TIG. >>

Reactions: Jags
Oh, this is going to be fun. There is going to be plenty to read on welders and welding. After that, plenty more to read on how to build a splitter. Going to be some fun stuff. I like learning about new things. Thanks for the links guys. I actually already knew about the Lincoln one, but had no idea about the other or the book. It is going to be a fun spring/summer.

troy built 27 ton from lowe's works fine for me, just have to run it dry the ethenol is rough on the honda engine

troy built 27 ton from lowe's works fine for me, just have to run it dry the ethenol is rough on the honda engine

What do you mean by "run it dry"? Does that mean you run it until there is no more gas in it? All my Stihl tool manuals and my John Deere zero turn manual recommend keeping them completely full with fuel all the time to prevent condensation in the fuel tanks. I usually keep them full even when I am not going to use them for months.

What do you mean by "run it dry"? Does that mean you run it until there is no more gas in it? All my Stihl tool manuals and my John Deere zero turn manual recommend keeping them completely full with fuel all the time to prevent condensation in the fuel tanks. I usually keep them full even when I am not going to use them for months.
I close the valve in the fuel line and let it run to empty the fuel bowl and carb.

Yep, that is what happens when I see something I like that is freaking ridiculously expensive, or when a repair is ridiculously expensive. Surely wasn't going to pay somebody $3,000 plus to install the furnace, so had to learn how to do that. They wanted $2,100 just to hook the thing up to the ductwork and another $800 for the chimney install, with me putting the furnace in place. Installing the AC was another complete disaster. They wanted $4,600 for it and I bought what they wanted to sell me for $1,900.

Going to have to post pics of the furnace one day.
I did the furnace install on my house too, did it mainly for use of the A/C and actually haven't run it at all for heat. Im too stubborn to break down and turn on the furnace. Even if I have to push myself and run stove at peak performance when it gets really cold.

Tanks full of stabilized fuel, carburetors empty/dry is best for seasonal storage. Tanks completely empty is good too, especially for long-term storage, but removing fuel from the tank can be a hassle and isn't necessary for storage of less than 6 months.

I close the valve in the fuel line and let it run to empty the fuel bowl and carb.

That makes sense. Don't think my dad's splitter has a fuel shut off valve. Might have to think about putting one in. Will have to check the mower and other small engine tools to see if they have them. Know the chainsaws don't, but maybe the weed whacker does.

I did the furnace install on my house too, did it mainly for use of the A/C and actually haven't run it at all for heat. Im too stubborn to break down and turn on the furnace. Even if I have to push myself and run stove at peak performance when it gets really cold.

No wood stove in the house. The furnace is a wood burning furnace with natural gas backup on a separate thermostat. So, had to install the furnace to have heat in the house. Have the a-coil and condensor ready to go for when the summer gets here. Just need to hire somebody to braze the coolant line and charge the system this spring.

That makes sense. Don't think my dad's splitter has a fuel shut off valve. Might have to think about putting one in. Will have to check the mower and other small engine tools to see if they have them. Know the chainsaws don't, but maybe the weed whacker does.
For the handheld stuff, just dump the tank back into your mix can. 1/4" Shut off's are cheap (under $5 anywhere) and worth it. (For the splitter)

Status
Not open for further replies.