Stack of Wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

deborita3

Burning Hunk
Oct 25, 2018
New York
I haven't done the measurements yet but was wondering by looking at the pic if anyone can tell about how much wood I have. I was told it was a cord but I don't believe that to be the case. IMG_20181031_191736840.jpg

A little lazy?,it would have taken less time to measure the pile than to make the post. ;)

Almost half a cord possibly.

Reactions: deborita3
Depends on average length of each split, height and length of the pile

Depends on average length of each split, height and length of the pile
What he said. You'll need to measure the length, depth of the stack (split length) and height of each of the stacks you have on there. Definitely doesn't look like a cord to me

Deja vu all over again - lol.

You are sort of asking us to do, what the guy who brought you that wood seems to be doing - make a wild guess. With added +/-'s of picture perspective thrown in.

If you can give rough measurements of length, height & depth of that stack - it would then be pretty easy for us to tell you how much wood you have in it.

Reactions: blacktail
A little lazy?,it would have taken less time to measure the pile than to make the post. ;)

I helped my husband carry all the pallets from our shed, moved the pile where it was dumped and helped my husband stack it. I also raked over 1/2 an acre of leaves in our yard and cut back some tree limbs to help my husband who works long hours. Hardly lazy. :)

Reactions: SeanBB
Deja vu all over again - lol.

You are sort of asking us to do, what the guy who brought you that wood seems to be doing - make a wild guess. With added +/-'s of picture perspective thrown in.

If you can give rough measurements of length, height & depth of that stack - it would then be pretty easy for us to tell you how much wood you have in it.

I plan on measuring it. Jist need to get a chance. I did my research since I have never stacked or measured a cord before. Just thought I could get a opinion on the pic. Some people know a cord or half cord just by looking at it. Gee whiz. LoL

Reactions: Schipp
I plan on measuring it. Jist need to get a chance. I did my research since I have never stacked or measured a cord before. Just thought I could get a opinion on the pic. Some people know a cord or half cord just by looking at it. Gee whiz. LoL
It could be a cord, if it was cut to 4 foot length.

What length does your wood burning device require?
What length does the supplier say?

16-18" wood, you might have a face cord

My guess is about 1/5 of a full cord, going off typical dimensions of a pallet and if cut to 16" lengths.

looks to be about 100"L x 30"T x 16"D......

If cut to 18", then about 1/4 cord.

that looks like maybe half a cord or so to me. just a guess though

My guess is about 1/5 of a full cord, going off typical dimensions of a pallet and if cut to 16" lengths.

looks to be about 100"L x 30"T x 16"D......

If cut to 18", then about 1/4 cord.

But I think there is more than one row under that tarp....

Reactions: JRHAWK9
But I think there is more than one row under that tarp....

very well could be.....good catch. So double my numbers :)

very close to 1/2 full cord if stacked 3 rows deep. Pallet is 48" deep (longest measurement) then 40" wide so judging by that I would say you're close to 4' deep and 20"-24" tall and close to 8' long which would be about 1/2 a cord or 1 and 1/2 face cord.

1 cord = 4' tall x 4' deep x 8' long -------------Dried $125-$200 (depends on time of year)
1 Face cord = 4' tall x 16" deep x 8' long-----Dried $75

There are 3 face cord in 1 cord.

Hope this helps.

I have 3 rows. The wood is cut in different lengths, some 15" 15 1/2 16 1/2 17" even one was 13" Most are in the 16- 16 1/2 range

My measurements are

4ft deep 8 ft long and about 2 ft- 2 ft 2 inches

If I calculated correctly I have 64 cubic feet 1/2 cordIMG_20181101_124242500.jpgIMG_20181101_124302045.jpg This board which is on the left side of the pallet is marked
at 3ft with a white pencil. My pile clearly doesn't reach that height.

My pallets are each 40" long so I went another 16 inches on a third pallet to give me 96" which is 8ft.

very close to 1/2 full cord if stacked 3 rows deep. Pallet is 48" deep (longest measurement) then 40" wide so judging by that I would say you're close to 4' deep and 20"-24" tall and close to 8' long which would be about 1/2 a cord or 1 and 1/2 face cord.

1 cord = 4' tall x 4' deep x 8' long -------------Dried $125-$200 (depends on time of year)
1 Face cord = 4' tall x 16" deep x 8' long-----Dried $75

There are 3 face cord in 1 cord.

Hope this helps.

Helps very much. Thank you!

I have 3 rows. The wood is cut in different lengths, some 15" 15 1/2 16 1/2 17" even one was 13" Most are in the 16- 16 1/2 range

My measurements are

4ft deep 8 ft long and about 2 ft- 2 ft 2 inches

If I calculated correctly I have 64 cubic feet 1/2 cordView attachment 232249View attachment 232251 This board which is on the left side of the pallet is marked
at 3ft with a white pencil. My pile clearly doesn't reach that height.

My pallets are each 40" long so I went another 16 inches on a third pallet to give me 96" which is 8ft.

Sounds like you have a grasp on it.

Now if you could find the rest of your cord.....

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink

Now if you could find the rest of your cord.....[/QUOTE
I'm very persistent and don't give up. I like to research and educate myself and I'm good at math as well:)

I will either get the full cord or a refund that's for sure. A customer should get a full cord if that was what was agreed to and I have the text msgs to prove it.

Now if you could find the rest of your cord.....

I contacted the guy who delivered the wood and told him I only have a little over 1/2 cord. He is claiming he gave more than a cord. He said he gave me 2 truck loads that I asked for. I didn't ask for 2 truck loads. I asked how much for 1 cord, he said $175 and I said I will take 1 cord (not 2 truck loads) he accused me of being petty. I asked if he was going to refund me my money and take the wood back. He didn't answer. He told me it's suppose to be stacked in 2 rows and three like I have it. I told him it doesn't matter as long as the measurements come out to 128 cubic ft. 128 is 128

I mentioned the Dept of weights and measures. He didn't seem to care and told me he will never deliver to me again( I had no intention of ever ordering from him again.

Thoughts suggestions?

Reactions: Schipp and JimBear
2 truck loads is 2/3 of a cord. I delivered many many many (many)pickup truckloads of wood years ago and it was always 1/3 cord tossed in the back randomly....and this back in the day when truck beds were 8' long and a face cord (1/3) was $60 delivered.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I contacted the guy who delivered the wood and told him I only have a little over 1/2 cord. He is claiming he gave more than a cord. He said he gave me 2 truck loads that I asked for. I didn't ask for 2 truck loads. I asked how much for 1 cord, he said $175 and I said I will take 1 cord (not 2 truck loads) he accused me of being petty. I asked if he was going to refund me my money and take the wood back. He didn't answer. He told me it's suppose to be stacked in 2 rows and three like I have it. I told him it doesn't matter as long as the measurements come out to 128 cubic ft. 128 is 128

I mentioned the Dept of weights and measures. He didn't seem to care and told me he will never deliver to me again( I had no intention of ever ordering from him again.

Thoughts suggestions?

I'd probably have to go on blood pressure medication if someone pulled this chit on me. All you can do is make sure EVERYONE in the area hears about this. Post it online....hell, call the local news media, they love stuff like this. LOL

I'd probably have to go on blood pressure medication if someone pulled this chit on me. All you can do is make sure EVERYONE in the area hears about this. Post it online....hell, call the local news media, they love stuff like this. LOL

I want my money back. I have his name and all the msgs.

Just.to be sure. It doesn't matter that I have it in 3 rows correct? As long as it's 4ft deep 8ft long and 4ft high.The wood is on a.pallet which is 4ft deep and it took three rows to fill the pallet from back to the front. Neatly stacked

I want my money back. I have his name and all the msgs.

Just.to be sure. It doesn't matter that I have it in 3 rows correct? As long as it's 4ft deep 8ft long and 4ft high.The wood is on a.pallet which is 4ft deep and it took three rows to fill the pallet from back to the front. Neatly stacked

Correct.

The only thing I can come up with, is that when he says a cord, he means and thinks a face cord. Which is only 1/3 of a cord, for all intents & purposes, and not a real term of measure. Such stuff is why Weights & Measures have to be involved in all this. There is a very firm definition of a cord - 128 cu.ft.. Problem is, sometimes when someone says cord, they are meaning face cord. Which is kinda dumb, but that's how some think.

Having said that - if that was what it is, he is still light. Going by that, you should now have 2/3 of a cord. And you only have 1/2.

Reactions: rowerwet