Stacking long term in the woods

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenster

Minister of Fire
Jan 10, 2010
Texas- West of Houston
As shown in a post a couple of days ago, I just dropped a large oak back in our woods. I've got about 25 or more rounds measuring 20 inches long and 16 to 18 inch diameter, not counting the large limbs of the top that I haven't bucked yet. I've got the rounds stacked right next to where I dropped the tree -- in a pretty clear area. It's right at the intersection of two paths that I cut into the woods years ago. The paths are easily wide enough for my lawn tractor to tow my splitter back there. But, I don't need this wood until at least 2014-15. So, I am thinking of splitting and stacking right there on site. The stack will not get a great deal of wind but it is in a wide clearing that would get a several hours of sun each day for most parts of the year. I know that wind is better but since since I've got at least three years before I need it, I'm thinking that wood split and stacked on pallets NOT under a tree canopy should do pretty well in three years.

What do you think?

Also, I'm curious about how much I have here. Maybe you can help me with the math...

25 rounds. 20 inches long. 16 to 18 inch diameter.

Volume of a cylinder: L x R squared x Pi (3.14). I'll go conservative and use 16 inch diameter (8 inch radius.)

20 x 64 x 3.14 = 4019.2 cubic inches

x 25 rounds = 100, 480 total cubic inches

Divided by 1728 (cubic inches in a cubic foot) = 58.15 cubic feet

Divided by 128 cubic feet in a cord = .454 cord.

Does that look about right?

With the large canopy that came down with the tree plus the rest of the top that had previously fallen and has already been cut and stacked I'm thinking close to .7 cord when it's all said and done. Maybe a wee bit more since I was figuring actual volume of the wood and that should expand quite a bit when it is stacked.

math seems right.

As long as it's off the ground - 3 years later it should be good.

I stack oak in the woods (and all over) all the time and I don't put anything under it even. The bottom row of splits are sometimes a little gunky but everything above that bottom row is just fine. When I go to use that wood, if the bottom splits are heavy, I just toss them on the top of next year's stack and it's all good.

A cord is 128 cubic feet of stacked, split firewood and the air between the splits. The amount of solid wood in a cord is more like 85 cubic feet according to the US Forest Service, so divide by 85 instead of 128.

Ken, you will be fine stacking that in the woods so long as you have the time and you do.

I've also stacked like quads many times and had no problem. As he does, we just threw that bottom layer on top of the next pile for next year.

I've got lots of pallets so I'm good to go.
Thanks!

Wood Duck said:
A cord is 128 cubic feet of stacked, split firewood and the air between the splits. The amount of solid wood in a cord is more like 85 cubic feet according to the US Forest Service, so divide by 85 instead of 128.

+1 on this. There is a LOT more air in CSS wood than in rounds. I would up your estimate.

Don't know about you but I c/s/s several chords or many ricks last fall and due to the heat here in OK (over 60 days of 100 plus temperature and 100 days over 98 degrees) the oak is dry to the bone. I was surprised to see it season that fast but I guess that is due in part to the temp. I like the idea of c/s/s whereever the tree was cut down and coming back years later to get it. Kindof like a squirrel hiding a nut.

quads said:
I stack oak in the woods (and all over) all the time and I don't put anything under it even. The bottom row of splits are sometimes a little gunky but everything above that bottom row is just fine. When I go to use that wood, if the bottom splits are heavy, I just toss them on the top of next year's stack and it's all good.

Same here.Done it for 30 yrs & never had any problems.None of it stays longer than 3-4 yrs,its all burned within that timeframe anyway.If a few on the bottom row are froze to the ground,a quick hit with the axehead or sledge busts them free.

seeyal8r said:
Don't know about you but I c/s/s several chords or many ricks last fall and due to the heat here in OK (over 60 days of 100 plus temperature and 100 days over 98 degrees) the oak is dry to the bone. I was surprised to see it season that fast but I guess that is due in part to the temp. I like the idea of c/s/s whereever the tree was cut down and coming back years later to get it. Kindof like a squirrel hiding a nut.

Seeya, pretty much the same situation down here except even hotter and drier. Extremely wet oak trunks that I took down and split in December and February were about 17% moisture content in late July. Almost unheard of! We had over 100 days of 100+ temps, often up to 108-110, virtually no rain, and weeks of strong, hot, dry wind.

I'm sold on stacking this wood right where I split it in an opening in the woods and near the intersection of two paths. I'll have easy access to it and it will be easy to out and look it.

Status
Not open for further replies.