Stihl 661 on Logosol chainsaw mill without side cover?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I worked with an old guy who was actually in a rainier beer commercial right before the spotted owl that could touch up a chisel ground chain very well with a 3 corner file. Was working in st Hellen’s ash and the only time I’d say it was productive to hand file falling timber. I tried it a few times just out of curiosity but it was horribly bad even though I had a good understanding of what was needed. He worked the file opposite of round filing like the direction of the grinder wheel and was just a couple strokes to clean up the dullness caused by the ash.

The Stihl 63 PMX is worth every penny, because it cuts with a 1/4" kerf, but works with a 90-95cc saw. Stihl (or Oregon/Husqvarna/Other OEM chain) will last longer than anything made in a 3rd world factory with poor QC. My 3/8 LP ripping chain made in China for the Archer brand suffers from drivelink failure when used on my 24" bar, but is holding up on a 16" bar. To my knowledge Stihl is the only company making 3/8 LP ripping chain that will hold up to longer bars, and they make it specifically for Logosol for use on a Logosol chainsaw mill. Bailey's is also the best place to get it, Fox is too expensive and they suck at online orders. Not bad to do business with in person or for large orders, but a hassle for smaller stuff.
I ordered the Stihl chain even though it was double the price (per your advice I think you get what you pay for). I ordered the 20" Woodland Pro bar both from Baileys. My generic side cover is supposed to arrive today so hopefully by the end of next week I can get started on milling those cherry logs.

Reactions: EbS-P
The generic side cover that EbS-P recommended (thanks) showed up yesterday. Put it on and the depth of cut was much closer. I milled up a cherry and the boards were coming out pretty darn close to an inch (1/16 to an 1/8 over). I will do a bit more tweaking just to see if I can dial it in a bit closer (yeah, I know...). 20" bar and chains should be here next week. Now I've got to get busy and build a styrofoam dehumidifier kiln. Gotta love YouTube.

Reactions: EbS-P
The generic side cover that EbS-P recommended (thanks) showed up yesterday. Put it on and the depth of cut was much closer. I milled up a cherry and the boards were coming out pretty darn close to an inch (1/16 to an 1/8 over). I will do a bit more tweaking just to see if I can dial it in a bit closer (yeah, I know...). 20" bar and chains should be here next week. Now I've got to get busy and build a styrofoam dehumidifier kiln. Gotta love YouTube.
I've spent entire days getting the mill set up "just so" and making boards within +/- 1/32"

And here I built this entire thing with only thing square or true was the two parallel faces the planer left me. Everything was just marked and cut to fit. +\- 1/32”. It all shrank more than that when I brought it inside;)

46A8F951-7C18-4D13-881C-8B49CD3BBC7C.jpeg B000BEB9-4328-41AD-BD01-7277B9EFA4BA.jpeg

I've spent entire days getting the mill set up "just so" and making boards within +/- 1/32"
Lol. If I can get that close, it will go from "just so" to "good enough."

And here I built this entire thing with only thing square or true was the two parallel faces the planer left me. Everything was just marked and cut to fit. +\- 1/32”. It all shrank more than that when I brought it inside;)

Good job on the loft.

Its been awhile. Still riding the learning curve on the M-8 Logosol. Trying different set-ups (bar/chain). Making progress. I orfered a Granberg ripping chain today. Also, pushed the button on the Jolly grinder and a 28" Wood Mizer cant hook. I've been having tractor trouble. Found coolant leaking. Buddy is a diesel mechanic. 12 hours to put in a new head gasket only to find out the head is cracked. So, new head is on the way. Not to mention getting ready for the Holidays and keeping the Blaze King loaded. Loving every minute of it.

Logosol has a new hand crank system that allows the operator to stay put at the head of the mill, manually advancing the saw and controlling the throtle without walking along with the saw. I'm going to give it a try. I ordered one and it is being shipped from Sweden. No more having my face so near the exhaust and sawdust. https://www.foxforestry.com/product/remote-crank-feed-petrol-saw-up-to-6-meter/

Reactions: SpaceBus and EbS-P
Reactions: Bill in the U.P.
Being so close to the power head was the reason I never had the 880 modified. I ran a modified 372 a couple times finishing up some cants and it’s just too dang loud. I have the same problem topping or chunking down trees. Makes my ears flutter. I thought about buying one of those pulley systems for large logs.

Reactions: Bill in the U.P.
I took a picture of my new umbrella to show the wife the other day. I’m in the process of moving a huge stack of live edge out of the garage without the tractor and even after a couple years these things are back breakers

View attachment 305173
Looks like an awesome setup.

Reactions: Nealm66
It’s a very simple mill that works extremely well. I’m so green though. I spend way too much time trying to figure out what to slice. I learned a lot with the assembly
Yeah, I get that.

Decided to wait for the new crank mechanism before I do any more milling. Hopefully by the end of next week.

Reactions: Nealm66
Makes me wonder if your chains aren’t feeding well on their own. If they aren’t, you’re not going to have much of a lifespan on that motor which will be some expensive boards

There was a very steep learning curve for my F2+. I chewed up a couple of bars and probably four chains figuring it out. For me specifically my 395xp wasn't sitting flush on the sled all the time due the handle. Once I took it off I stopped having so many problems.

Makes me wonder if your chains aren’t feeding well on their own. If they aren’t, you’re not going to have much of a lifespan on that motor which will be some expensive boards
I was referring to this add on to the mill. ( Logosol has a new hand crank system that allows the operator to stay put at the head of the mill, manually advancing the saw and controlling the throttle without walking along with the saw. I'm going to give it a try. I ordered one and it is being shipped from Sweden. No more having my face so near the exhaust and sawdust. https://www.foxforestry.com/product/remote-crank-feed-petrol-saw-up-to-6-meter/ )
I have been experimenting with different bar and chain combos. I will be sharpening my own chains with the Jolly grinder someone on here recommended as well. I want to get things as dialed in as soon as I can as I want to get all the logs I have stockpiled milled before spring and the critters go to work on them.

There was a very steep learning curve for my F2+. I chewed up a couple of bars and probably four chains figuring it out. For me specifically my 395xp wasn't sitting flush on the sled all the time due the handle. Once I took it off I stopped having so many problems.
With this new crank mechanism I am switching to the carriage from the F2 and a bar nose device. I still want to spend another day dialing in the cut width as it is still tapering about an 1/8" on an 8 ft. log. The little adjusting bolts that move the ratchet gear confuses the heck out of me. I have tinkered with those over and over and can't seem to see a difference. Nothing in the manual about how they work (M-8 mill). I' be glad to hear suggestions on those.

Remote crank and bar nose is scheduled to arrive today. I put the new carriage on and was able to chase down all the reasons I wasn't getting true cuts. My local Stihl dealer supplied me with some ripping chains but they are not the 1/4" kerf the mill requires. I have some new Stihl PMX 1/4" kerf on their way. I will wait to mill the rest of my cherry logs till after those chains come in. 3/8" is a LOT of sawdust. https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http...9FWUaONH5_9USIl8CbytNiYmb27caipqWdNO_xySsV5-0

The Stihl chain is worth it.