still burning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Woodsplitter67

Minister of Fire
Jan 19, 2017
Woolwich nj
Were getting to the end of the season here. It was a warmer winter but the spring has been cooler. With the wind whipping this morning I lit the stove.. probably one of the last weekends.. I haven't figured out my wood usage yet.. most likely I'll do that today.
20200509_051212.jpg

I re-lit the stove yesterday around 5pm, it was raining and the temp dropped to 44 up here, but I a big load around 9 before bed, glad I did, the winds this morning are whipping put of the NW, temp outside is 29. Thank god for the winds though, without them blowing I would be loosing so many flowers that have come up already, but thankfully this looks like the last of the icy grips of old man winter here, come Wednesday we get into more of a pacific flow with 70s forecasted starting Friday.

28 last night, an inch of snow. Still 31 and there saying 40MPH winds today. The stove will running all day and tonight. I burned more wood in April that I did in February .

• Wow
Reactions: begreen
Seems like it was warmer in March then April, did an overnighter last night glad to see I wasn't the only one who did.

Mine usually keeps going til the end of May with a few shutdowns at nite. 28 up here this AM and howling wind. Funny all but one Jersey post

Brr, that's cold enough to put on another new jersey.

Isn't this shaping up to be one strange year. First the pandemic, and then just when things were starting to ease up some, the weatherman throws us another curve.. Well I'm mighty thankful to the good Lord above, as I'm relatively healthy and I'm nice and warm (take more than a couple of cool days and a smidgen of snow to get me too worked up)...

Hope you're all warm and healthy!
20200509_180640.jpg20200509_180716.jpg20200509_180757.jpg20200509_180829.jpg

Reactions: brenndatomu
We didn't et near that much snow, but it did leave us with a white frosty coating and I loaded a pretty good load of wood in the furnace this morning...about 30#, which is about what I load twice per day throughout the winter, unless it actually gets good and cold out, takes a little more then, a lot more if its really cold. But in NE Ohio we don't seem to get much of that "real winter" anymore.
Worked outside in short sleeves yesterday, below freezing and a little snowy today...goofy weather...and year!
Agree with you though...everyone is healthy here and feeling pretty blessed, this pandemic stuff hasn't really affected us much, unlike many. Actually been kinda nice in that I can work only as needed, with no loss of income.

Reactions: yooperdave
Unbelievably there is snow building up on the grass, decks, cars, and anywhere dry. I haven't stopped burning the cookstove, but we were having to open the windows at times.

New stoves aren’t installed yet here. Still burning oil. Usually it would be like 90 degrees out by now. I split a good amount of wood today.

I was a good day to split.. i split a little yesterday as I wanted.to reduce the size of the splits to keep a hotter fire
what stove stove are you getting.. how much and what kind of wood do you have

I’m installing an old Upland 17 ( it’s exactly like the old Jotul 602) that has been rebuilt refurbished. Hopefully today. I need to cut a hole in fireplace box for the new 6” liner.

I have a nice selection of black cherry, hickory, locust, black walnut, ash, maple and sassafras.

Still burning, for a few hours in the morning. Take the chill off and cozy while drinking coffee and reading the paper with the Mrs. Maybe a couple more days, supposed to be in the high 30s overnight tonight and tomorrow night. But then warming considerably and that’s probably it.

A small load of hemlock went into the VC this evening.

Reactions: TWilk117
We dropped 20º in the last 4 hrs. as a rainy front has moved in. Might have a fire in the morning.

I've got a nice fluffy loaf of Spelt bread in the oven now and just took out a loaf of banana bread before that! Definitely a window open kind of day for baking though.

Got the Jotul cranked up today, Wednesday. 45 degrees and rainy here in the NC mountains. Normally quit burning in April but it is a chilly spring time.
The girlfriend has declared her new religion is "Norwegian Wood Stove" and she will sit before the Jotul for hours.