Storms a brewin 1/04 - 1/05

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kennyp2339

Minister of Fire
Feb 16, 2014
Just a heads up a Nor'easter is in the works for later this week, yes there will be snow & wind but the big story will be the cold behind the storm, temps easily below zero for points down to Virginia, now is the time to get your wood ready.

Thanks for the heads up on that.i bring in about 2 week’s of wood in at a time. Your post reminds me that I should bring in as much as possible today before the the cold (single digits here currently as well), and before my wife’s cold becomes my cold.
Hmmm, a brisk hike with the dog and then bringing in a bunch of wood. I think that that qualifies me as a having a great day. A766CE77-CE60-4E4B-88AE-AEAEFEB9D4DC.jpeg

Gonna get more wood stacked underneath the deck later this afternoon. Only have to get caught without wood close to the rear entrance 1 time to realize that ain't happen again . Thanks for the heads up, I was thinking its time for a deep snowfall soon anyway.

Gonna get more wood stacked underneath the deck later this afternoon. Only have to get caught without wood close to the rear entrance 1 time to realize that ain't happen again . Thanks for the heads up, I was thinking its time for a deep snowfall soon anyway.
same here. Have about half a face cord up close to the house, full capacity is 2 full face cord. Hopefully the tractor starts.

Reactions: adrpga498
Just topped off my inside wood rack, also have a standby wheel barrel full of splits, cleaned out the ash in the stove so I can fit the optimal amount of wood.
I have my beer for Friday night, a full fridge of food.
I did buy some diesel 911, put some in the truck and tractor tank just for good measure, I also have the front grill cover and plow on the truck. I am ready for Mother Natures nasty winter tricks

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
Way ahead of you :) Was ready weeks ago!

Just topped off my inside wood rack, also have a standby wheel barrel full of splits, cleaned out the ash in the stove so I can fit the optimal amount of wood.
I have my beer for Friday night, a full fridge of food.
I did buy some diesel 911, put some in the truck and tractor tank just for good measure, I also have the front grill cover and plow on the truck. I am ready for Mother Natures nasty winter tricks
White bottle is for preventing gelling, red bottle (911) is if you have gelled up. It says on the instructions 911 does not prevent gelling, just be careful.

http://powerservice.com/psp_product/diesel-911/

Plan on restocking tomorrow after work and bringing in the welder to make my plow bracket for the atv. Darn house remodel has had me going since this past April so all the little garage projects have been a low priority.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

It was 70deg F today with a low of 47 deg F, :cool: I hate these cold snaps;lol luckily I'm getting use to the cold so I can leave this back asward state.

Gathering some impressive strength. Looks like Long Island is going to get some very strong winds.
Screen Shot 2018-01-03 at 11.32.42 PM.png

15 F and snowing hard here. Predicting a foot or more. Wind isn't bad yet, but they say we could get 45 mph gusts tonight. I love my wood stove.

This is the one that will really make the snowmobilers happy...

Reactions: firefighterjake
This was forecasted to be the worst, or at least one of the worst, storms to hit here since at least the 70's. Like, comparing to tropical cyclones, and Cat 1 hurricanes. Never mind the snow - the seriously destructive winds.

So far, the snow hasn't been what they called for, at least here. Only a few inches. But they are still sticking to the winds tune, and outages are spreading like wildfire now. The winds are just picking up here now and we still have power but I am expecting things to deteriorate steadily as the hours go by.

Going to be a night of not much sleep, I absolutely despise high wind conditions....

Aye. Winds are picking up here. They upped the possible snow total a little too.

This storm is no joke, but I'm not sure it will rate as one we talk about years later. Maybe I'll be changing my tune tomorrow morning...

1:30pm PST view. Heading north now.

Screen Shot 2018-01-04 at 1.29.37 PM.png

I'm amazed that we didn't lose power last night. Snow's over. Time for the cold...<>

I'm amazed that we didn't lose power last night. Snow's over. Time for the cold...<>

Up this way the Halloween storm knocked down pretty much everything that was going to come down . . . at the time I wasn't so excited to lose power for several days, but now I'm pretty happy since we never even had a flicker of lost power yesterday.

Yea h- Halloween was bad. I didn't have power for four days.

I can't predict when we lose power here. Last night I thought we would and didn't. Last Monday night it was -15 (not the coldest its been lately) and calm and power went out at 11:30 PM. I was out in my bunny slippers monkeying with the generator that wouldn't start. Doh!:oops: