Stormy week ahead, cold and snow coming

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kennyp2339

Minister of Fire
Feb 16, 2014
IMG_2372.JPG IMG_2375.JPG IMG_2344.JPG thought I would share with you guys my preparation for a cold snowy week ahead, tonight 3-5"s, Wednesday bitter cold followed by another storm for the weekend

Currently sitting in a 72 degree home waiting for the 4 to 8" of white stuff to quit falling out of the sky.

70 in the house 65 in the shop got the skid steer at the door itching to push snow. So far today we have 5" on top of the 2" yesterday and no signs of slowing down!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, same here. Locked and loaded

This weekend was the first serious burning of the season. Today I finish up moving all the winters wood from the main piles to covered pile under my side deck. It was in the low 20's today in north east PA, but it was so nice out there.

Expecting 6-8" here tonight into the morning — have only had a light dusting so far but it's really supposed to pick up at midnight.

Reloaded the deck and living room racks with a mix of ash, cherry and locust. Spent a good part of the day picking up the homestead and stowing anything in the barn that I wanted to see again between now and April, seems like it could be one of THOSE winters. Put tire chains on the quad and mounted up the snow plow.

Bring it on.

Filled and ran generator. Everything else is always ready, oh checked the rechargeable lantern. Bring it on.

bob

Looks like another serious cold snap coming through here in NE NY - looking like a high of 10 tomorrow and first drop into sub-zero overnight.

Still burning a whole lotta locust...

We got over 33 inches of snow last Friday and sat, with more on the way. Just went through three days of real cold single digits at night. I stacked about two truckloads of three to five year old seasoned BL in the garage with enough cedar splits to match it. Couple night the house was to hot not a bad thing to have. As stated above always ready for the cold.

Couple night the house was to hot not a bad thing to have
The real question is...was the Kuma worth it? does the natural convection deck work? what's the wood usage like? Obviously you took out the big guns feeding it black locust

The real question is...was the Kuma worth it? does the natural convection deck work? what's the wood usage like? Obviously you took out the big guns feeding it black locust
The answer to your questions are in the post.House too hot means stove is worth it.House too hot seems to mean convection deck is working.Not a bad thing to have sounds like not unhappy with wood usage.

The answer to your questions are in the post.House too hot means stove is worth it.House too hot seems to mean convection deck is working.Not a bad thing to have sounds like not unhappy with wood usage.
Lol - since you know so much, did he run the new insert upstairs also, or was the house to warm from just the Kuma down stairs?

Maybe he'll get back to you regarding your other concerns.
LOL, thanks.. fibels, fyi its gonna get cold again or the both of us.

LOL, thanks.. fibels, fyi its gonna get cold again or the both of us.
I'm ready with two large soapstone stoves.A Mansfield and the larger Hearthstone I the greatest heater I've ever experienced.Plus 7 cords of hardwood and a pallet of Canawick bricks.I'll be heating right up till May and June if needed.

The kuma was worth it the convection was great. I just used BL because that is what I have the most of and it was the most seasoned. I was getting great burn times 8 to 10 hours with the stove temps never dropping below 800. I don't believe the wood consumption was that bad considering the cold. I did run the summit upstairs just to make things easier, the one day it got sunny and up to about 24 the house was over 81. We had our second daughter on Tuesday so I was running back and forth from the hospital till Friday. With that and the cold I just kept them both loaded and running, the furnace never kicked on! Yesterday it got up to about 37 so I pretty much just ran the kuma, I cleaned out the summit to get ready for the next cold spell. If you want to pump the heat the kuma is a serious heater, I did get a couple cat temps of over 1000 and with the natural convection it is to hot to even put your hand in front of. I had to keep it dialed back to keep the temps a little lower. Plus the BL was seasoned about four years. I'm very happy with the kuma and the summit insert both great heaters. The summit could easily heat the upstairs by itself if needed or if I didn't want the basement heated.

[QUOTE="heavy hammer, post: 2132982, member: 45111]We had our second daughter on Tuesday so I was running back and forth from the hospital till Friday.[/QUOTE]

Congratulations! Hope everyone is healthy and warm at home.

Everyone is good, thanks baby girl and mom are doing great. Everyone is staying warm and ready for Christmas. My older daughter is very happy for her little sister. Things couldn't be any better!

Congrats dude, happy to hear everything is going well.

Do you have time off for the holidays kennyp2339 or do you have to work? You guys been busy?

I have tomorrow off, then finishing out my pad's next week and carrying 4 days over to next year, yes we have been pretty busy, u know the drill, do more with less.. lol

Yea it seems to be there motto, enjoy the time off we will be back to it soon enough.

Yea man, are u doing the family leave? If so, don't let them tell u can't do this but... ur allowed to break your time up how u want, so u could in theory work 2 days a week and be available for call outs, hr doesn't want people to know that

We don't get the family leave, at least that is what we were told by our union. We were told that would apply if on the corporate side.

I saved my vacation all year to use plus we can't roll over vacation anymore, another thing changed with our last contract extension.

Status
Not open for further replies.